Is this redneck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brihno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
when I learned to dive I had a 3mm wetsuit, however this was obviously not warm enough for the water here, so I borrowed an ugly old blue 80's one from a friend. This suit was a 13mm farmer john system, what I failed to take into consideration was the effect this new suit would have on my bouyancy...
I floated like a cork! since I was 60 miles out in the middle of nowhere, and only had 10 lbs. of weight, I stick two big rocks in my BC pockets, and was a ble to achieve near perfect bouyancy. GIT-R-DONE!!!

If it works it works......good for you for ingenuity, good to see that someone can use their heads when need be and need not follow the written word to the T!

But now knowing, you can adjust your weights accordingly or get more rocks - whichever works for you :D

Rocks... right. Done that, and spent the rest of the dive sideways. Hmm, next time two smaller rocks instead of one big one?:wink:

Recently I was on a liveaboard dive boat. They had a new trainee divemaster who, although very pleasant, was a disaster in motion. At every dive we boarded a tender and motored out to the site. And then... his tank was empty. Or his mask was missing. Or, in one case, he doesn't have his weight belt. Oh dear.

There's another, very experienced dive master leading the dive so the trainee isn't really required. But he must go to prove he can do the job! Look out.

After all the guests have descended, somehow he powers down and grabs a couple big rocks so he can join the other divers. About halfway through the dive, at depth, he swims up to one of the guests and shows him the rocks. And then he hands one of the rocks to the other diver. (Perhaps to let him see how heavy it is? Who knows why.) The other diver, not having any idea what this is about, is not keen on holding a slimy rock, and drops it.

By this time, of course, the trainee DM is on the buoyant express straight to the surface.

glenn

g2:
Rocks... right. Done that, and spent the rest of the dive sideways. Hmm, next time two smaller rocks instead of one big one?:wink:

Just add ones the size of pennies to even out the trim as needed :wink:

I was doing surface support for our work dive team about a month ago, and one of the divers didn't have enough weight. We didn't have any weight on the boat, but we did have a really big clevis...

how do you know a redneck is married......................

there is chew spit on both sides of the truck!

Git R Done

JUMBO

brihno:
when I learned to dive I had a 3mm wetsuit, however this was obviously not warm enough for the water here, so I borrowed an ugly old blue 80's one from a friend. This suit was a 13mm farmer john system, what I failed to take into consideration was the effect this new suit would have on my bouyancy...
I floated like a cork! since I was 60 miles out in the middle of nowhere, and only had 10 lbs. of weight, I stick two big rocks in my BC pockets, and was a ble to achieve near perfect bouyancy. GIT-R-DONE!!!
They must have been really, REALLY BIG rocks. It takes a rock about the size of your head to compensate for 5 lbs of buoyancy (been there, done that). You can float a cinder block with a 13mm farmer john ... even one that was old and blown-out.

:browsmile

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah there were tworocks and they totally filled the pockets of my bc (I forgot to mention this was in a river, which is probably what made it work)

Back
Top Bottom