Is this really OW diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was part of a group of three dsd divers just like this in se asia before I got certified. The other two divers were tethered to their dm while i having had some experience and comfort in the water was allowed to dive untethered. Main purpose was bouyancy control especially over the reef.

Tandem Scuba Diver doesn't actually require the person to be tethered to you or the Instructor to maintain direct contact like this the whole time. The requirement is that it's one-on-one and the Instructor swims side-by-side with the student. It is usually done as an alternative to a Discover Scuba or Passport Scuba program when confined water is not available. It's not necessarily being tethered.

Last edited:
A similar sort of thing to tandem skydiving perhaps. Someone with little to zero experience but has the cash and wants to cross it off the bucket list. Looks ridiculous.

Tandem Scuba Diver doesn't actually require the person to be tethered to you or the Instructor to maintain direct contact like this the whole time. The requirement is that it's one-on-one and the Instructor swims side-by-side with the student. It is usually done as an alternative to a Discover Scuba or Passport Scuba program when confined water is not available. It's not necessarily being tethered.
thanks, the divers in the picture were not tethered either.

I am aware of the naui program

Pretty common sight in our part of the world over last few years especially if the divers come from certain nation. And I won't be at all surprised if the divers even have AOW!!!
OW + AOW together as one course, another very common practice here.

Last edited:
Context would be important.

Could be special needs, a DSD or a certified diver's personal preference.

Some of us use DPV, maybe this is the human powered version. I've seen some divers wanting this help at the end of a dive, allowing them to relax and enjoy the view rather than focus on the technical aspects of diving.

Would have been interesting to learn the reason behind the behaviour you observed.

Regards,
Cameron

Pretty common sight in our part of the world over last few years especially if the divers come from certain nation. And I won't be at all surprised if the divers even have AOW!!!
OW + AOW together as one course, another very common practice here.

I'm a fairly new driver myself with my 19dives and barely being completed my AOW (SSI) but there're two thoughts coming up on my mind. Stated as these diving aren't special needs divers or in trouble.

1. Any certified OW/AOW diving needing this in order to dive decently (keep the Buoyancy) should be uncertified right away.
2. I can't imagine any ******* self-respecting diver would ever want to dive like this.

I've never seen this or heard about it 'til now. It's weird, but better than a DSD situation with one instructor to 4 students or one DM to two (if these are still the ratio standards). Not to mention violations of the ratios, which I've heard about a number of times.

I'm a fairly new driver myself with my 19dives and barely being completed my AOW (SSI) but there're two thoughts coming up on my mind. Stated as these diving aren't special needs divers or in trouble.

1. Any certified OW/AOW diving needing this in order to dive decently (keep the Buoyancy) should be uncertified right away.
2. I can't imagine any ******* self-respecting diver would ever want to dive like this.
Once I had to demonstrate to my insta-buddy, AOW certified, how to clear mask!

I see it all the time with the Japanese here in Okinawa, they are offering a SCUBA experience without needing to be certified. Don't know if they people are interested in doing SCUBA later, but I see couples doing this with one person holding on to them guiding them around. Definitely caught me off guard the first time I saw it.

Back
Top Bottom