Is this day of NDL diving possible with the Petrel or any wrist computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am stunned that you want to dive this profile, and for continuous days. I don't think anyone here is being nasty, we are all so stunned that you would want to dive such an aggressive pattern.

I agree with the post above, only a bottom timer will let you dive this profile without deco.

You are seriously living on borrowed time before you get bent. Do yourself a favour and rethink your dive pattern.

Take it from an old urchin diver. These are the profiles of a commercial gatherer, although his profile says Ponce Inlet, I don't know what he would be gathering, even a commercial spearfisherman would have a hard time with these profiles.

As someone before said, why would you bother using a computer. If your Uemis said you were safe before, just use a bottom timer and call it good. A computer is just a tool, not a permission slip to do silly things.

Take it from an old urchin diver. These are the profiles of a commercial gatherer, although his profile says Ponce Inlet, I don't know what he would be gathering, even a commercial spearfisherman would have a hard time with these profiles.

As someone before said, why would you bother using a computer. If your Uemis said you were safe before, just use a bottom timer and call it good. A computer is just a tool, not a permission slip to do silly things.

"But I can't be bent... my computer says so!"

Gauge mode, darling.

If your body can take it every time, then it's fine. Gradual increase. Bring some reading for the chamber, though. One day you'll fail :)

Pay attention to physical fitness, drink enough water per day, sleep well, schedule your pre-dive sports wisely, and take all other precautions.

Thanks everyone for answers and concerns. Yes, the profiles are aggressive and Wookie is right with regards to the reason for them. Been doing this for 20 years and intend to keep at it safely.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 10:52 PM ----------

I put those profiles in divePAL (you can download them from the divePAL cloud) and, using the liberal settings (the less conservative one) dive 10 creates a deco violation.

Dive 13 starts and ends in deco.

It does not matter what dive computer you want to use. That dive sequence is very aggressive!

Thank you divenav, how closely does the software emulate the Petrel?

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 11:01 PM ----------

As far as I know, the Petrel dive planner only allows the planning of the next dive, not the next 13 dives as the OP would like.

The Petrel uses Buhlmann, so I put the profiles into MultiDeco with 100/100 GFs....not a good idea to ever dive that way, but the profiles are crazy anyway.
I could not get beyond dive #10, because MultiDeco has that as the max number of dives in a sequence.
No deco requirements occurred through dive #10.
However, the gas requirements to do the 5 dives in each grouping with short SIs were substantial: assuming 0.5 cuft/min RMV, 150 cuft are needed for dives 1-5 and 137 cuft for dives 6-10.

As a side note, the PADI RDP for 36% will not even allow the sequence through dive #4.

Thanks - interesting - I have to study on gradient factors. As far as gas a LP95/98/100 at about 3200psi gives me about 1:30-1:40 at 65'. My computer says my RMV ranges from 0.31 to 0.41.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 11:02 PM ----------

When I put it all into decoplanner, with the exception of averaging 5min surfaceintervals. (Can't put in 3mins) I only get a problem with the last dive where it seems to need about 9mins of total deco (7 mins at 3m the rest is travel). This is with 36% Nitrox and Buhlman 20/85. The other dives are within minimum deco.

Thanks - in your experience, does the Petrel follow along with dives you've planned with decoplanner?

Been doing this for 20 years and intend to keep at it safely.

Let's see....you are now 20 years older than you were when you started doing this. How much longer do you think you can keep it up? You are throwing the dice on every dive, and they are getting increasingly loaded against you....

A computer is just a tool, not a permission slip to do silly things.

"But I can't be bent... my computer says so!"

These are some of the most sage advice your can get. I'm sure you can find some GFs to put into a Petrel that will allow your profile within NDL. Just like the creative accounting that is done to hide felonious transactions. It doesn't make it right.

The Petrel will not lock you out if you dive very aggressive profiles or blow deco stops... it will allow you to bend yourself if you so choose.

Thanks - in your experience, does the Petrel follow along with dives you've planned with decoplanner?

Yes... My Petrel is set with 20/85 GF... so basically follows the plan.

However... Bear in mind. I have never, and probably would never do a plan like this, and have therefore no experience with it like this. I am GUE trained and will most of the cases dive using av. depth and time. However, when doing technical dives, the plan that decoplanner spits and the plan my Petrel wants me to follow seems to follow suit.

Side note: Oxygen during the longer surface intervals might be a good thing to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom