Is this day of NDL diving possible with the Petrel or any wrist computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... Thank you divenav, how closely does the software emulate the Petrel?...
I don't know. We don't have the details of how they implemented their deco algorithm.

The deco algorithm we use in divePAL is a modified version of the ZH-L16C. See this post for more info and how it compares with other dive computers. We also use it in our own Smart Dive Computer

I don't know. We don't have the details of how they implemented their deco algorithm.

The deco algorithm we use in divePAL is a modified version of the ZH-L16C. See this post for more info and how it compares with other dive computers. We also use it in our own Smart Dive Computer

Thanks for reminding me of the 2011 info.
My question now is the same as then: how does your tuning of the coefficients in each compartment compare to the more standard (and defensible?) use of gradient factors to introduce conservatism? And, why did you not just use GFs?

.....how does your tuning of the coefficients in each compartment compare to the more standard (and defensible?) use of gradient factors to introduce conservatism? ...
It does not compare at all.
GF does not change coefficients of individual compartments as it works in a different way.
As explained in this post, we fine tuned the coefficients so we could have a deco algorithm (with 3 levels of conservatism) that could be compared to algoritms implemented in other dive computers when using Karl's test profiles.

...And, why did you not just use GFs?
We do.
In the Tech version of divePAL Windows you can use GF.
Also, with the Tech version of divePAL Windows you can design your own algorithm by using the Selective Gradients feature. This feature has been available in divePAL Windows since March 2012. See this link for more info .

- Selective Gradients (Tech mode only)
- This feature is FOR RESEARCH ONLY.

Do NOT plan real dives with SG otherwise you WILL DIE :shocked2:

divepal_beta_012_d.jpg

- In the options menu, select "Tech" for the conservatism level, then choose a selective gradient besides the default Buhlmann.
- You may enter new surface-safe-pressure and slope coefficients for the safe tissue levels of each compartment, for both nitrogen and helium.
- When analyzing another user's dive, by default you will see the analysis with the SG they selected for this dive, but you may also change the analysis to use one of your own SG (or one of the four default conservatism setting).
- Every tech user may store up to 10 SG sets.

Got a Petrel last week and dove it yesterday on some deeper stuff. I have it on the most liberal GF preset under the rec nitrox mode. I like the algorithm so far.

Oops, I had it on medium conservative. Just downloaded dives with bluetooth - that was so easy

Last edited:
These are some of the most sage advice your can get. I'm sure you can find some GFs to put into a Petrel that will allow your profile within NDL. Just like the creative accounting that is done to hide felonious transactions. It doesn't make it right.

I dive 80/95 on my Petrel these days and doubt I could pull off this series without some deco stops accruing somewhere. Honestly, I'm not sure even a 95/95 setting would avoid deco for these.

I dive 80/95 on my Petrel these days and doubt I could pull off this series without some deco stops accruing somewhere. Honestly, I'm not sure even a 95/95 setting would avoid deco for these.

I only have 3 presets for GF, is that because I am using the OC rec mode?

I only have 3 presets for GF, is that because I am using the OC rec mode?

Yep, OC Tech mode will allow you to set the GFs as you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom