Is this a wreck ? Google Maps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

invasion_1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is this a wreck that someone knows about ? Any info on it would be great. Looks like a shore dive near Clarington.

I can't post the link as this board won't let me post a link until I have posted more than 5 posts. So, to find it, go to google maps. Make sure you are on Satellite mode. Find the 401 and Waverly Rd. Follow this south to Lake Ontario. Zoom into 50m scale. Follow Cedar Crest Beach Rd. to the east along the shore to a pond that spills into Lake Ontario. RIGHT out from the mouth of this spill out, there looks to be a wreck in the water.

Thanks.
Scott

Is this a wreck that someone knows about ? Any info on it would be great. Looks like a shore dive near Clarington.

I can't post the link as this board won't let me post a link until I have posted more than 5 posts. So, to find it, go to google maps. Make sure you are on Satellite mode. Find the 401 and Waverly Rd. Follow this south to Lake Ontario. Zoom into 50m scale. Follow Cedar Crest Beach Rd. to the east along the shore to a pond that spills into Lake Ontario. RIGHT out from the mouth of this spill out, there looks to be a wreck in the water.

Thanks.
Scott

It certainly looks like a wreck. Google earth ruler shows it to be about 145' in length.

Here is a link to a map that shows the vicinity. It's just the mouth of the lake where the wreck is located is just south of the pin on the map. map cove road, clarington ontario - Google Maps

Who would have thought of using Google Earth to find wrecks. Awesome idea!

That is likely the wreck of the Juno. Interesting shallow dive (+/- 12 feet) with keel and rudder intact as well as part of the prop and the windlass. She faces the shore with the stern to the south. Access is via a path from the road down to the lake.

Neil

I'm not so sure. It looks like it could simply be the sand/mud bar created by outflow from that pond.

Anyone going to go and find out?

This is a fun mystery.

I'm not so sure. It looks like it could simply be the sand/mud bar created by outflow from that pond.

Anyone going to go and find out?

This is a fun mystery.

If you look at it closely using google earth, it's approx 145' long and the east side of it is pretty much a straight line. Nature generally abhors straight lines, so my guess is that it is some sort of man made structure.

As you said, it would definitely be a fun exploration project!

It is the Juno. If you look at the right magnification you can make out the outline of the wreck. It lies several hundred feet off shore.

Neil

Who would have thought of using Google Earth to find wrecks. Awesome idea!

Some of us have spent dozens of hours scouring Google Earth maps looking for shore dives, ponds....anything. That mixed with nautical charts and I have come up with a couple sites. Not always the greatest but hey....they were new.

When you are hours from even reasonable diving.....you strive to find something closer.

When you are hours from even reasonable diving.....you strive to find something closer.
Sorry, I simply can't relate to this statement! Bwahahahahahaha!

And this is why I am jealous of most FL residents....even if a recount is required :D. But it does kind of make for some exciting diving (but only sort of)....being able to theoretically break new ground. It can also be VERY anti-climactic when the site is not exciting.

But I love diving almost any water so I am happy to do it.

Back
Top Bottom