Is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faq88

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Just wanted some input if this is a good deal or not. I have good snorkeling equipment, but want to get the rest of the equipment so I don't have to pay for rentals every time I want to dive.

The e-mail....
We would sell both men’s & women’s equipment for $1000

We have:
Dacor BC’s
Regulators with all hoses and Suunto dive computers
Wetsuits for warm water
Gloves
Booties
Wenoka dive knives
Wetsuit vests with hoods
Scuba fins
1 Soft weightbelt
1 dive hood
2 tanks

Thanks,
Mike

Assuming that this is for new gear and not used, I would say that the price is about right. You won't end up with top end regs. or BCDs, but it seems about right for a starter package.

shop around.

This package is $399.95 at Leisurepro.com

Tusa 2100 BCD, Black (BCJ-2100)
Mares Rebel 2 Regulator
Sherwood Minimus Octopus, Yellow
Genesis CG5736 200ft Compact Console
Blue Reef Regulator Bag, Black
Blue Reef DIVE INTO... Cayman Duffle Bag

Go to the local dive shops to compare equipment and prices, find what is comfortable. Don’t just buy dive equipment because of price. It’s your life support system. Cheap or used equipment can fail and leave you in a tight spot. When you buy from a local dealer you also have a warranty.
Dive Safe
Ron

Go to the local dive shops to compare equipment and prices, find what is comfortable. Don’t just buy dive equipment because of price. It’s your life support system. Cheap or used equipment can fail and leave you in a tight spot. When you buy from a local dealer you also have a warranty.
Dive Safe
Ron

Someone taught you well Ronnie!
Buy Right, Buy Once!

Are they older Dacor Regs?

If so, parts availability may be a problem as when (Mares? Aqualung?) bought them out a lot of it went away.

What's the current inspection on the tanks?

Hey guys,

Just wanted some input if this is a good deal or not. I have good snorkeling equipment, but want to get the rest of the equipment so I don't have to pay for rentals every time I want to dive.

The e-mail....
We would sell both men’s & women’s equipment for $1000

We have:
Dacor BC’s
Regulators with all hoses and Suunto dive computers
Wetsuits for warm water
Gloves
Booties
Wenoka dive knives
Wetsuit vests with hoods
Scuba fins
1 Soft weightbelt
1 dive hood
2 tanks

Thanks,
Mike
No way to tell if it's a decent deal or a horrible deal. If you don't have any more info than this, you need much more. Sizes, models, age, condition, maintenance history, neoprene thickness, details, details, details. Do you have any idea if any of the stuff that needs to fit will? Also tank type, brand, year, inspection status. Certain older aluminum tanks are made from a bad alloy that is for practical purposes unfillable now. (Many threads can be found here with the details on that.)

Tanks should be the last thing you buy unless you dive almost every weekend and get your fills for free. Even at that having your own tanks is more of a convienience so you don't have to run to the dive shop every Friday to pick up tanks, as opposed to dropping your tanks off to get filled and picking them up on Friday. Wait. Anyway, by the time you factor in the cost of visual and hydrostatic inspections and the cost of fills it's about a wash financially.

Don't get all hepped up on buying soft weights. The old fashioned hard weights fit fine in most weight pockets and are quite a bit cheaper. I thought I had to have soft weights. I would have saved a lot if I had known better.

I agree with buying your gear through the LDS. New or used. Most dive shops in the valley have a sale or two during the year where they sell off their rental gear. I know some shops replace all their rental gear each year so you're buying gear that is a year or less old at a greatly reduced price. Check with the dive shop to make sure.

If I had to spend the money on one item it would be a good reg set. A good reg set will last practically forever if maintained properly. I met somebody at one of those dive shop sales last year who was buying a reg set. Her old one was over 30 years old and still worked fine but she couldn't get it serviced anymore because they no longer made parts for it.

I'd stay away from anything with the Dacor name on it.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom