Is there much difference between Solo Diving, and the new Solo Diving revised?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am undewhelmed with the first one, some useful concepts but not much more than that.

N

In the old one, the author recommends Spare-Air (to all his students) and A.I.R.2s.

I'm glad I got mine as a gift. I did not have to shell out any cash. It was more like a forum for other people to express their feelings on the topic and blow their own horns rather than give any good practical advice,

evad:
In the old one, the author recommends Spare-Air (to all his students) and A.I.R.2s.

Well, the author discusses spare-air and AIR 2s. In his defense he does say that a spare air is not sufficient for anything below 80'. I've never used one, so I can't comment on the viability of getting to the surface on 2.5cf of air from 80', but I suspect it would be cutting it close going straight for the surface, let alone trying to get back to the anchor line.

The book was an interesting read, even if it wasn't very informative. I think I enjoyed the "Opinions" chapter most of all. I only paid $9 for mine through Leisure Pro, and I like to read, so it was worth it for me.

About as informative as a PADI specialty manual.

Tom

b1gcountry:
Well, the author discusses spare-air and AIR 2s. Tom

Re Spare Air; "I personally dive with a Spare Air and recommend it to all my students."

Yeah, I'm glad I bought it at LeisurePro and not the LDS (for thirty bucks) where I was thinking of taking the class.

Yeah, his remarks on the spare air are a little contradictory. First he says he dives them, and recommends them to his OW students, then he says they are not sufficient for anything moderately deep or more. I suppose if you are only diving from shore, in calm conditions where you can surface at any point in safety in less than 40', they might be an acceptable contingency plan. But what's the point of getting something you will grow out of in two months?...And any peace of mind you get from taking it deeper than 40-50' is probably just a false sense of security.

Even so, an alternate point of view is always interesting, even if you don't agree with everything, it is a good exercise to help you understand what you don't agree with and why.

Tom

I got this book recently despite the comments here on the board. Just felt that given the title and my interests, it ought to be in my library. I have to agree with the consensus: there's very little useful content in the book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom