Solo Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is trying to use it as a regulator, while also maintaining buoyancy (adding/dumping BCD air). It's a skill you can easily self-teach and practice. Divers often think "it's just merging the inflator hose and octo" and don't realize they need to practice, and then have increased difficulties in an emergency.
Your point is very important, I think. My daughter just completed her university open water scuba course. At no time during the semester-long course do the students use an AIR 2 (nor an octopus, nor a power inflator)--even though the gear that the students use for their open water checkout almost always includes an AIR 2!

I did a gear checkout (full open water gear) with my daughter in the pool a couple of days before she left for her open water checkout. I had already introduced her to the AIR 2 earlier, at home, in the living room. However, we spent some time practicing with the AIR 2 in the pool during our gear checkout.

I cautioned my daughter, before she left for her open water checkout, that we hadn't practiced enough to make using the AIR 2 "instinctive", and that she needed to practice using it a lot more.

rx7diver

If the AIR2 is set up factory style the inflator corrugated hose can be used as a pull dump or there is a small lever on the left shoulder that can be moved to open that exhaust valve. The whole assembly is designed as a single system, so putting an AIR2 inflator/regulator module on the end of a generic corrugated inflator hose is incomplete.

If the AIR2 is set up factory style the inflator corrugated hose can be used as a pull dump or there is a small lever on the left shoulder that can be moved to open that exhaust valve. The whole assembly is designed as a single system, so putting an AIR2 inflator/regulator module on the end of a generic corrugated inflator hose is incomplete.
They can be used as a pull dump even when added later on. At least in my small experience.

The problem is trying to use it as a regulator, while also maintaining buoyancy (adding/dumping BCD air). It's a skill you can easily self-teach and practice. Divers often think "it's just merging the inflator hose and octo" and don't realize they need to practice, and then have increased difficulties in an emergency.
No. That's not what was said. Wibble said "yer gunna die." He didn't say why he thought this.

It goes without saying with a new piece of gear, no matter the sport or occupation, you should master how to use it.

They can be used as a pull dump even when added later on. At least in my small experience.
No, not necessarily. Some BC's don't have the pull-dump mechanism installed. Neither my 1994-era Scubapro Stab Jacket, my Halcyon Pioneer 27# Singles wing, nor my new VDH Aquanaut 23# singles wing is fitted with a pull-dump mechanism that can be activated by an AIR 2 (or power inflator).

And my 1994-era AIR 2, itself, will not accommodate a pull-dump valve.

Moreover, my own caution to divers, though, is that they "should" avoid pulling-to-dump--just in case they either pull things apart, or fail to recognize that something is not working correctly and that they, in fact, are not dumping air even though they are pulling the h--- on their inflator/AIR 2.

rx7diver

No, not necessarily. Some BC's don't have the pull-dump mechanism installed. Neither my 1994-era Scubapro Stab Jacket, my Halcyon Pioneer 27# Singles wing, nor my new VDH Aquanaut 23# singles wing is fitted with a pull-dump mechanism that can be activated by an AIR 2 (or power inflator).

And my 1994-era AIR 2, itself, will not accommodate a pull-dump valve.

Moreover, my own caution to divers, though, is that they "should" avoid pulling-to-dump--just in case they either pull things apart, or fail to recognize that something is not working correctly and that they, in fact, are not dumping air even though they are pulling the h--- on their inflator/AIR 2.

rx7diver
Like I said, limited experience. I wasn't aware of any newer BCD not having a pull dump in the hose. Either way it is something to be aware of and to use as desired. Just as anything else you need to practice with the air2 and also different dumps. The cable can break and now you're down to the butt dump and lifting your hose (maybe a right shoulder dump as well).

I have a remote-exhaust, and think it's awesome, but generally avoid using it most of the time due to the risk being you pull the hose off entirely, and now your BCD is useless.

You can install a BCD "Remote Exhaust Inflation Assembly" on many/most BCDs, if you can find a compatible one. That's usually defined by the threading on the wing/bladder; if you grab a random one, it probably won't fit.

Your wing may also have a capped opening on it as well, which you could replace with an "Over Pressure relief valve" You can also generally swap/move/etc any of these to any position, since wings usually use the same threading/size for all ports.

Be VERY careful when threading an inflator/exhaust assembly, or relief-valve, because the threads are usually plastic, and it's easy to cross-thread and cause damage that often cannot be repaired. So take your time, have a dive-shop do it, or just don't do it.

old thread I know...
I'm suprised to read that those Air2 things are still a thing. I had one a very long time ago. It was not a good second stage and it was not a good inflator either. Very wet breather as I recall. Still...jack of all trades master of none is still better than a jack of none. Mine didn't last long...corrosion I think it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom