Is there any interest in a Goodman style handle for the DRIS 1000 and 500 lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got the DRIS 1000 light based on recommendations here. It's a nice light, but with 5mm gloves I could imagine dropping it. I created a quick design in soldiworks that would be all machined aluminum and would securely hold the light. It's expensive to machine just one, but if there was enough interest I might make it.

8-8-2012 9-37-10 PM.jpg

Just ordered mine, I could be interested, PM me if you get a rough idea of cost.

Count me as highly interested.

If the price was right, I'd be interested. Until then, I just put a boltsnap on my light and clip the light to my compass bungee when I'm using it. This way if I drop it, it'll fall and face down and not blind me or be lost.

If I'm not using the light, I just clip it to my right chest d-ring.

This might not be DIR (probably isn't) but it works for me.

I'm working on it. I am refining the parts so there is less machining and I can get the cost down.

I'm not really interested in making a profit on this. I just want one personally but it's too expensive to make just one. I think if I could make 25 then it might be doable. I would keep a couple for myself and then sell the rest at cost.

i would be interested depending on cost

Interested depending on cost.

Just a thought: take a look at how Halcyon and Light Monkey makes their handles, as well as their measurements. They use bent "aluminum strap" with machined slots for the "grip" part, and only machine the platform for the light. Might make it cheaper and possibly easier to make.

http://www.halcyon.net/lights/heads

I once measured up one of those handles, and have a sketch with measurements. Shoot me a PM with an email address if you're interested.

Oh, one more thought: since the grip and platform wouldn't change, you might be able to offer different size mounting clamps to accommodate other lights as well - more interested buyers might help offset the cost.

Just a thought: take a look at how Halcyon and Light Monkey makes their handles, as well as their measurements. They use bent "aluminum strap" with machined slots for the "grip" part, and only machine the platform for the light. Might make it cheaper and possibly easier to make.

Halcyon Light Heads | Halcyon

I once measured up one of those handles, and have a sketch with measurements. Shoot me a PM with an email address if you're interested.

Oh, one more thought: since the grip and platform wouldn't change, you might be able to offer different size mounting clamps to accommodate other lights as well - more interested buyers might help offset the cost.

Great minds think alike. I made that change last night. I changed to a bent aluminum handle with slots.
The light mount is bolted on the top so I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to make different clamps for different size lights. I may have the top plate drilled with a series of holes at different widths so it can accommadate different size brackets or double brackets in the future.

I am sending you a pm now for dimensions. All of my dimensions are based of my XL size hand with a 5mm glove on.

Back
Top Bottom