Is there a signal for "Out of no-stop time"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The standardization of signals is a real problem, like your "no-D" signal DA Aquamaster's "question" flies in the face of the standard open palm and might be confused with both and "OK" and a "Stop." We need to be careful because we tend to count in binary, if I flipped you the bird underwater, I'm most likely trying to tell you "four!"

Thalassamania:
The standardization of signals is a real problem, like your "no-D" signal DA Aquamaster's "question" flies in the face of the standard open palm and might be confused with both and "OK" and a "Stop." We need to be careful because we tend to count in binary, if I flipped you the bird underwater, I'm most likely trying to tell you "four!"
... and if I flipped you the bird underwater, it's most likely preceded by my pointing toward a piece of gear ... and I'm telling you that piece of gear is ******ed.

To the OP ... as you can see, underwater language is a multi-lingual thing. So whatever signal you decide upon, the most important thing is to make sure ... before the dive ... that your dive buddy knows what it means. Otherwise it'll just create confusion.

When all else fails ... everybody knows that the thumb pointing toward the surface means ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's interesting ... if I pointed to a piece of gear with my "4" finger, I'd be referring to it's less than optimum status.

That's interesting ... if I pointed to a piece of gear with my "4" finger, I'd be referring to it's less than optimum status.

... which, I suppose, means it's 4k'd ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd take that a step further, and discuss what signals _you_ and _your_ buddy will use for the dive.

Don't assume that because you hear of some signals considered 'common' on a web board, that the next person you dive with will use them or understand them the same way.

Discuss signals and review them in the pre-dive discussion. Don't assume :)

To the OP ... as you can see, underwater language is a multi-lingual thing. So whatever signal you decide upon, the most important thing is to make sure ... before the dive ... that your dive buddy knows what it means. Otherwise it'll just create confusion.

When all else fails ... everybody knows that the thumb pointing toward the surface means ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, I will definitely be discussing signals with my buddy, as well as issues like, If I start to go right and my buddy starts to go left, which of us should follow the other.

In fact, since my upcoming trip is a live-aboard (Nekton Pilot) I am going to raise the issue of signals when they give us the general orientation, and see if the group can reach a consensus for the week.

As I mentioned before, I know that I can end the dive at any time for any reason, and my buddy or DM can do likewise. But if communication can resolve an issue safely without ending the dive, that's always a good thing.

(As a former ham radio operator I have thought that it would be great if all divers learned Morse code, but I found a thread here about that, and I see that there's no general agreement, with concerns about noise pollution, etc., and a counter-suggestion that all divers learn ASL, and disagreements about that also. I do carry a slate, though, which is great for asking "What's that?")

Oh, the other useful signal (which I would be using all the time) would be one for "WOW!!!!!!!!" There are times when a simple "ok" sign is just not emphatic enough. But maybe that's just because I'm still so new at this.

Oh, the other useful signal (which I would be using all the time) would be one for "WOW!!!!!!!!" There are times when a simple "ok" sign is just not emphatic enough. But maybe that's just because I'm still so new at this.

What I often do when I'm looking for ideas for a new sign is to refer to an online ASL dictionary (example: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi). There is actually an ASL sign for "Wow" thats surprisingly obvious :)

If you google it you'll find several other online ASL dictionaries besides the one I quoted. Sign language is a natural starting point for building your underwater vocabulary.

R..

Nothing but an upwards pointing thumb! (and there should be no question to the signal by your buddy)

Daniel, good thread, lots of good suggestions.

I would second the "diver swimming" signal for recreational diving, as it's very useful in many situations. The hand is the diver's torso, two fingers mime a flutter kick. Easy to do, easy to imterpret.

Rather than communicating "I'm out of no-stop time" I just signal "swim shallower" by miming a diver swimming slowly shallower. Your buddy should acquiesce without asking why. Last weekend my buddy and I allowed a third diver to buddy with us on some boat dives and the new guy showed me exactly that when his computer showed him his deep time was winding down. We had not discussed this beforehand, but it was impossible to misinterpret.

Another signal you might find useful is "remember this." Cross the index and middle fingers and touch them to your temple. Good when you want your buddy to note something seen or done during the dive, for discussion once you're topside.

-Bryan

Attachments

• signalfordiver.jpg
    signalfordiver.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30
What I often do when I'm looking for ideas for a new sign is to refer to an online ASL dictionary (example: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi). There is actually an ASL sign for "Wow" thats surprisingly obvious :)

If you google it you'll find several other online ASL dictionaries besides the one I quoted. Sign language is a natural starting point for building your underwater vocabulary.

R..
Thanks for that. I've bookmarked the site.

I am not aware of any generally-accepted hand signal. But I have thought about this quite a bit because the situation has come up from time to time. Pretty much any hand signal you want to invent can be used if you and your buddy agree on what it means.

I've decided that in my deep diving class, and my own personal use, to use the following hand signs:

1. For immediate need to come up: Point to the computer and give the "thumbs up" sign.
2. To communicate that Air/ND Time Remaining is low: Hand-chop to the back of the wrist (where a watch would be) or hand-chop to the face of the computer. Perhaps followed by a number of minutes in fingers.

Back
Top Bottom