Is there a signal for "Out of no-stop time"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're out of time, thumb first, explain later.

Thumb and start your ascent. If your buddy looks quizzical (shrugs shoulders, etc.), tap on your computer and continue your ascent.

To ask how much no stop time you have remaining I'd show you an open palm and then do the aforementioned ceiling thing with the hand rotating over the head.

With regular buddies we know the signal that we use. To get shallower but not end the dive I'll either point upslope and make a swimming motion with my first two fingers as in let's swim upslope.

If it's a wall and I just want to get shallower I give the thumbs up and then keeping my hand horizontal signal level and then level again.

Regular buddies already know what it means. If I'm with someone else I'll just point in the direction (shallow) that I want to go and I'll make a swimming motion with the first two fingers. Most everyone gets it.

I've never asked anyone how much NDL time they have left. In general I don't care. When they need to get shallower or ascend for whatever reason they signal and that's what we do.

I don't even ask anyone but a new diver about how much air they have left. I'm assuming they are taking care of themselves. Really, there are very few signals needed under water it seems to me....OOA,turn, OK, ascend/descent, tap on computer and throw out some fingers for stop length, and let's get shallower. If I care about their air I'll just look.

Last edited:
I dive without a computer, and have 32% tables in my head. When I have dived with people on air, I ask them to let me know when they are getting low on no-stop time. Just getting my attention and using a flat hand and moving it upwards lets me know we need to get shallower.

I've never asked anyone how much NDL time they have left. In general I don't care. When they need to get shallower or ascend for whatever reason they signal and that's what we do.

This is absolutely true. If somebody wants to shallow up, I don't need to know why; it's one of those things, like calling a dive, that anybody can ask for and get.

In our family we have agreed to the following signals..............

If we want to know what how many minutes of NDL any of us have left, get their attention and point to the computer and they first look at the computer, point back to the computer and show the corresponding number of fingers............

Similar to what we go for air, point to the gauge and they respond, after checking the gauge...............

If someone notices they are near NDL they swim to their buddy and point to their computer and hold up the corresponding number of fingers..............

That is exactly why we all dive the same algorithm computer, it makes the NDLs very similar for us as a group, not always exactly the same but usually relatively close........

When we dive together as a family I usually have the least amount of NDL as I do all the dives and as many extra dives as I can fit in such as night dives, so I end up with the most nitrogen loading..............

Now when I dive with an insta buddy, I expect them to manage their own profile and make sure they don't do anything silly...............some boats have a strict no deco policy.......

I always ask how experienced they are and if they want me to "check" on them (primarily air) but on longer deeper dives NDL would also be checked........

Hope this helps.............M

When diving with a regular buddy, you don't need to limit yourself to the standard signals. you and your buddy can agree on any number of additional signals. My buddy and I have created numerous signals, enough for simple conversations.

For changing depth we move our hand back and forth horizontally to indicate "level off" then show digits for the depth in 10' increments. So to move up to 40' it's "level off" at 4 fingers. There's no reason to say why, but if we've been together and I'm near the NDL, odds are my buddy's fairly close too and could guess why.

Put your open hand on top of your head, palm down and rotate your hand clockwise. Shows your buddy you now have a deco ceiling approaching. If you have a deco ceiling already use the same signal followed by indicating the number of minutes with the number of fingers you hold out.

Ha ha, when I first read your post I thought you were going to say to put one hand on top of your head and pat it and put your other hand on your stomach and rotate it at the same time :wink:

My buddy and I usually just hold a hand flat with palm down and move it up slowly.

It seems to me that most of these things work themselves out anyway. Usually it's clear who is the most limited diver. Whenever that person makes any signal its likely to be because a limit has been reached.

Limited diver meaning one with air and others with 32%, or one with singles and others with doubles, or one newer diver with the others more experienced. It doesn't matter who is leading the dive if the limited diver signals you generally know why just from the circumstances.

We generally use the "deco signal" by itself to indicate the aproach of NDL time.

The signal is closed fist, with pinky extended straight up.

Additional info can be added to it during a decompression dive by making the @ symbol with your hand (sort of a semi closed fist) and then a number to indicate the depth of the stop and/or another number indicating required time for the stop.

Of course dives that run into deco should be planned ahead with everyone on the same page, but it's a good tool for communicating in the event something in the plan changes on the fly without the need to pull out wetnotes or a slate.

Look at this link for some common signals: Scuba Diving & Underwater General & Basic Communications, Hand Signals - Dayo Scuba, Orlando, Florida

If you're out of time, thumb first, explain later.

Thumb and start your ascent. If your buddy looks quizzical (shrugs shoulders, etc.), tap on your computer and continue your ascent.

I can't read my buddies face that well with a mask on. I like to have more information if possible to undertstand the urgency of the situation, the thumb has one and only one response by a buddy which is immediate ascent together.

I know this is not standard, but it is what I do when the dive permits spending time at shallower depths. If we want to ascend to ride the computer or are just not comfortable at depth due to temp or some other reason, we point up with the index finger and wave it around. Means lets screw around at a shallower depth. A point to the computer or SPG can explain why, but in anycase it is a more relaxed state than the thumbs up command and clearly indicates we are not intending a full ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom