Is there a signal for "Out of no-stop time"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, thanks for all the great replies!!! I will be discussing this with my buddies on my upcoming dive trip.

BTW, when I did approach a no-stop time on one dive, it did not take me by surprise. I'm always monitoring my gauges. And what I did was something suggested above, I just didn't know if my reason for my signal would be understood: I got the DM's attention, pointed to my gauge, then to myself, and then gave a thumb-up. Out of a group of 8, there were only 4 of us still down, and I'd imagine all were getting close as well, and the DM brought the whole group up.

point to your computer then give the ascent(point up) signal...If your buddy(s) don't get the message, change buddy(s).....

I would add, add the level off sign in there after the up signal........

I tap the computer, signal the number of minutes remaining and then use a flat palm up, signaling a slow ascent up.

Just my opinion:

Well, I'm sure you are planning your dive with your buddy in advance, not just jumping in with no discussion of depth and time. So, both you and your buddy will already know when you are getting close to turn time. There should never be a surprise when you suddenly look down at your computer and discover you're out of time, IMHO.

If a mistake is made and it does happen, a turn signal or a thumb will do nicely, followed by a discussion of dive planning and awareness on the surface.

Again, JMHO.

I'd take that a step further, and discuss what signals _you_ and _your_ buddy will use for the dive.

Don't assume that because you hear of some signals considered 'common' on a web board, that the next person you dive with will use them or understand them the same way.

Discuss signals and review them in the pre-dive discussion. Don't assume :)

The thread title basically says it all. I know the signal for "Out of air," and the signal for "I want to ascend," and I know how to indicate my remaining air pressure.

But is there a specific signal for "I'm getting low on remaining no-decompression time."? Or do you just signal an ascent? I know that I can call the dive at any time for any reason, no questions asked. But if we are at 60 feet and I'm down to 3 or 4 minutes of no-stop time, ascending to 40 feet will be enough to give us a bit more time, as opposed to signaling an end to the dive. Assuming the location has something interesting at the shallower depth.

So a "Low on no-stop time" signal could lead to different response than merely "I want to surface." I don't remember being taught such a signal.

These kinds of signs are regionally determined but where I live we teach (and use) this signal:

- make a fist with both hands
- hit the fist together twice, thumb side to thumb side = this is the sign for "NDL" (some people use "knuckles to knuckles" but it's less common)
- make a number sign like "10" or "1"
- indicate what you want to do "go shallow" "turn around" or whatever.

During dives where stops need to be made and for some reason you don't have a grip on your run-plan anymore, you can use the same sign and indicate depth and times like

"NDL" sign
"level off"
"12 meters"
"clock"
"3 min"

Other people probably have different ways to do this (like tapping the top of their head with an open palm) but it gets the message across to the guys I dive with. The main message being make sure you're all on the same page before you start.

R..

These kinds of signs are regionally determined but where I live we teach (and use) this signal:

- make a fist with both hands
- hit the fist together twice, thumb side to thumb side = this is the sign for "NDL" (some people use "knuckles to knuckles" but it's less common)
That's remarkably like the standard: "buddy up" or "get with your buddy," while there are definite local and regional signals, that's one I might rethink. If a diver gave me that series of signals I'd be think of something along the lines of, "what is the size of the group you are diving with?"

Didn't read the posts, but I wave an open hand over my head in a horizontal plane indicating the presence of a deco "ceiling". While on a deco stop, I might hold up 3 fingers and do the ceiling signal to indicate a 3 minute ceiling (deco). When deco is finished, I might do a ceiling sign and then shake my head no.

A variation on the cave diver signs from what was previously described. (no @ sign, so the order is different - depth, deco sign and time at stop)

Level off = moving your hand, palm down, back and forth like you are smoothing sand

Question = make a loose fist with an extended index finger pointed upward but modify it by bending the index finger at the first and second digits so it looks sort of like the upper half of a question mark.

Deco = a fist with the pinky finger pointed up.

Numbers 1-5 = normal counting where index finger is 1, add the middle finger for 2, the next finger for 3, etc.

Number 6-9 = same as above but pointed sideways, so 6 is 1 but sideways, 7 is 2 but sideways, etc.

zero = an O shape with your fingers and thumb.

So to tell someone I need to level off at 20 feet and do 5 minutes of deco, I'd do the level off sign, hold up 2 fingers for "2" and show a "0" to make it "30", then give the deco sign and finally show five fingers for "5".

If I want to ask how much time someone has at the 10 ft stop, I would give the question sign, the deco sign and sign "10". Alternatively if we are currently at 10', I could substitute the level sign rather than "10" as the level sign in that case means "at this level".

As indicated in a previous post, "come up" is a palm up lifting motion of your hand and "go down" is a palm down downward motion.

A closed fist held vertically is a "hold" sign which can mean level off, stay here, stop doing what you are doing, etc as appropriate in the given context. In terms of leveling off it is more emphatic than just the level off sign.

That's remarkably like the standard: "buddy up" or "get with your buddy," while there are definite local and regional signals, that's one I might rethink. If a diver gave me that series of signals I'd be think of something along the lines of, "what is the size of the group you are diving with?"

I understand what you're saying but I've never had that confusion. I guess the context keeps it clear.

Nevertheless, the point is well taken.

R..

Back
Top Bottom