Is the severity of narcosis greater when diving cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That extra CO2 generation may push oneself over the threshold where it is too difficult to deal with the problem(s).
That's what lead me to the question. During cold water dives the breathing rate increases therefore my thoughts were would narcosis become a problem at 30 metres?
How many questions about diving can someone have before he even starts his OWD course....
I read that if you fail to plan then plan to fail. Do you understand the word: tactical retreat? It can be applied to Scuba training.
The symptoms can be identical.
Good write up. My thoughts were you were on the money.

I must be one of the lucky ones.. did my deepest dive a month ago, 138 ft. never felt a thing

Not lucky, you probably think narcosis doesn't affect you at that depth, because you never felt a thing.

No one ever feels a thing untill one has to think, and finds out they are not up to the task, that's where training and muscle memory can save the day. When most divers feel narcosis it's usually, in my experience, a CO2 hit, rather than narcosis.

But were you narked?

I'd bet money on it.

That's what lead me to the question. During cold water dives the breathing rate increases therefore my thoughts were would narcosis become a problem at 30 metres?
Why would your breathing rate increase while diving in cold water?

When you speak of "cold" in diving, you should speak of it in terms of the diver more than the water. I have never done any serious cold water diving, with the coldest I have done being in Puget Sound at about 46°F/8°C. I made the mistake of wearing my warmest drysuit undergarment (which I have not done since), so at the end of both of my one hour dives there I was sweating.

I've swum in cold water and my breathing rate goes up. So it makes sense. Everyone feels the cold differently. I'm not sure in BM index makes a difference.
As I am sure you are aware, many people think you are a bot. This reply feeds that belief. You clearly did not understand what I wrote. Let me explain it again.

1. When you were swimming in cold water, you were cold because you did not have enough thermal protection, if any.

2. Scuba divers wear garments called wetsuits and drysuits. These help keep the the diver warm.

3. If a diver chooses the appropriate thermal protection, the diver will be warm, even in very cold water.

4. A diver can mistakenly take too much thermal protection and be uncomfortably warm in cold water.

As I am sure you are aware, many people think you are a bot. This reply feeds that belief. You clearly did not understand what I wrote. Let me explain it again.
You mean Americans believe I'm a bot?

So what everyone has said in the thread is totally wrong? Argue with them...

I've not bought my wetsuit to find out how I feel.

You mean Americans believe I'm a bot?

So what everyone has said in the thread is totally wrong? Argue with them...

I've not bought my wetsuit to find out how I feel.
If you are a bot, I want to know who developed the model to create "you", as I want that for my company's ROV in development and for stitching underwater laser scans

I've swum in cold water and my breathing rate goes up. So it makes sense. Everyone feels the cold differently. I'm not sure in BM index makes a difference.
Breathing rate and narcosis are not directly related.

Nitrogen uptake is determined by pressure, not by breathing rate. CO2 levels may go up slightly with breathing rate and CO2 is very narcotic but it's generally not a big enough increase to triggrr narcosis on its own, unlike physical exertion for example.

Be careful not to get ahead of yourself and overthink issues.

Your initial training with be <20m and narcosis will not be a concern.

How does "tactical retreat" apply? Are you canceling plans to take a scuba class?

I didn't read this entire thread..... but I would say that the "perceived" affect of narcosis might be greater in cold water simply because other factors like hood, gloves, low vis, etc....and the added mobility restrictions of a heavy wetsuit or the additional task loading of a drysuit could create added "mental pressure"... that MAY compound the overall affect...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom