Is the severity of narcosis greater when diving cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be a common belief that going deep on air would acclimatize divers to narcosis but people who still think that tend to be members of the Flat Earth Society.

It dosent acclimatize as in make one used to it, and able to lessen its effects. However, there are ways to mitigate the issues, by understanding how narked one is, and leave the depth if the effects are above your limit. I was mentored by a diver that died of old age, and it looks like I will, as well.

It dosent acclimatize as in make one used to it, and able to lessen its effects. However, there are ways to mitigate the issues, by understanding how narked one is, and leave the depth if the effects are above your limit. I was mentored by a diver that died of old age, and it looks like I will, as well.
The main problem is that narcosis really narrows your situational awareness. Muscle memory and deep air training can fail you if you're chasing the wrong duck, as one guy used to say :wink:

Back
Top Bottom