Is the severity of narcosis greater when diving cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience with deep air, definitely YES.
In cold alpine lakes, such as Garda or Maggiore, I got severe hits at just 24-30 m.
In the Mediterranean, which is warmer but not tropical, I usually had narcosis only at 45+ meters, around 40 if diving in winter.
At Maldives, when there were no depth limits, we did dive routinely at more than 50 meters with no narcosis.
However, low water temperature has a secondary relevant effect, translating in larger muscular effort due to heavier suit and equipment.
At Maldives we were basicaly "skin diving": no suit, no BCD, just long snappy fins, mask and a single tank...
Moving was effortless, and this contributed certainly in reducing CO2 production. CO2 is a powerful narcotic...

I am not even going to respond to OP as he/she has posted numerous questions that should not even be asked by an unqualified diver.

Some people have used the word ‘bot’ in this thread. Is the word ‘troll’ no longer de rigueur?

Some people have used the word ‘bot’ in this thread. Is the word ‘troll’ no longer de rigueur?
It comes down to intent, a bot is just doing what it’s told and doesn’t know better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom