Is the severity of narcosis greater when diving cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's like alcohol.
You can't tell when you yourself are Narc'd,
But you sure as heck can see it when someone else is Narc'd.

For example, when you look at your SPG and you remember what it said 5 seconds later.....

Depends, narked I could keep track of air, depth, and time. When I couldn't, I'd head up. Now the objective of the dive was further down the list, and was sometimes lost along the way.

Signs I'm narked...
  • Loss of concentration manifesting in constantly checking depths & pressures
  • Talking to fish and Tempot Blennies on the deck of a wreck
  • Checking gauges and depths
  • That "feeling" of not being all there (but that might be my normal state of mind...)
  • Repeatedly checking gauges
  • A feeling of tightness around my face (yes, really)
  • Checking gauges...
Remember doing a 50m/165ft trip to the bottom of a deep quarry (alas it died of Covid) on near-air (an air top-off so 24%) to deliberately provoke narcosis. Boy did that provoke narcosis! Off my face with stupidity. The second part of the experiment was to see how quickly the effects abated. Basically within a minute or two of ascending to 30m/100ft.

Training and experience mitigates narcosis to a certain extent. Experience of narcosis kind of helps a bit too; guess it's a bit like a pub regular who drinks a lot. They are pissed, but can survive more than a newbie drinker.

Now diving a rebreather so there's no excuse to be narked.

Regarding narcosis, people have different reactions to it and it affects people at different depths in different ways. Generally speaking, dives to 30m/100ft are not that affected by narcosis. Dives deeper than that get progressively more affected by narcosis. Below 40m/132ft the affects can be quite noticeable by most people, but that's the limit of NDL diving and in the realm of technical diving.
I must be one of the lucky ones.. did my deepest dive a month ago, 138 ft. never felt a thing

All of them. There is a lot of information, and misinformation, available for those that are interested.
Yea but before someone askes about the grading and happening of narcotic effects in colder water and advice about scooters in MY opinion he should have at least made one dive to begin to understand at least part of the answers he is given....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom