Is the Sea searcher Going out of buisness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone verify 1st hand that the Sea searcher has quit running trips?

Thanks in advance
Dave

We were at FGNMS on Sea Searcher II Sept. 9 thru 11, so they were still running trips last weekend.

I heard a 'rumor' last month of a death on the Searcher???

The word in our dive club is that it is a matter of fuel costs. They are imposing steep fuel surcharges and dive shops are pulling out, so the trips are being cancelled.

Here's some of what I know...

I was scheduled to make the trip this weekend as a Team Leader/DM. I was also out last month. I was told all trips for the remainder of the season had been canceled. I respect the reasons that Seasearcher management has had to deal with that resulted in this decision.

This is no time to speculate about any "rumors". I wish them well and hope things work out.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Here's some of what I know...

I was scheduled to make the trip this weekend as a Team Leader/DM. I was also out last month. I was told all trips for the remainder of the season had been canceled. I respect the reasons that Seasearcher management has had to deal with that resulted in this decision.

This is no time to speculate about any "rumors". I wish them well and hope things work out.

Regards,

It is never a good thing when a business has to close down its services to its customers,,,,in regards to the the 'rumor' of a death on the Searcher,,,,I simply bring it to light in so much as I found it interesting that such story was cirrcl. if such an incident had not occured.? Anyways, of course the 'best' to the owner and staff.

I checked the website but there is no mention of the cancelled trips. It's probably fuel costs. It may be great to carry 16 divers, but that doesn't pay the bills. Creative trips, alternate plans, and forward thinking keep business going. I hope they can make it back next year. These are hard times for all.
The death is not a "rumor", it did happen. There has been no mention of it on the boards or anywhere else. I am always anxious to hear if it is diving related or a medical condition. To many times medical conditions are misconstrued as a diving related accident.

Debraw:
I checked the website but there is no mention of the cancelled trips. It's probably fuel costs. It may be great to carry 16 divers, but that doesn't pay the bills. Creative trips, alternate plans, and forward thinking keep business going. I hope they can make it back next year. These are hard times for all.
The death is not a "rumor", it did happen. There has been no mention of it on the boards or anywhere else. I am always anxious to hear if it is diving related or a medical condition. To many times medical conditions are misconstrued as a diving related accident.

Don't have many details but apparently was an older diver from New Jersey and it appears to have been a cardiac incident. Found drowned at the surface. My sympathies to the family and to the Seasearcher crew who had to deal with the death.

As to whether the Seasearcher is still running, it's a little up in the air and we hear conflicting stories which I won't go into here as they involve personal issues from my understanding, although fuel costs appear to be an issue too - I do know that the trip we were doing this weekend (Sept 16-18) has been cancelled. We are booked to go out on Oct 1 also and have not heard anything about whether that is running or not....

outback:
Don't have many details but apparently was an older diver from New Jersey and it appears to have been a cardiac incident. Found drowned at the surface. My sympathies to the family and to the Seasearcher crew who had to deal with the death.

Ditto on my thoughts for the victims family,,,,thanks for the information.

Thanks for letting us know Outback. Terrible news for the family. It's very difficult and a fine line when dive charters have to report accidents. More often than not people blame the charter and most of the time it has nothing to do with them. From what a I understand the Seasearcher II have a thriving repeat clientele. It will be difficult for their customers to have to look elsewhere for Gulf Trips. I received my trip requests for Gulf Diving for next year and they are altering their schedule a bit to include more 3, 4 and 5 day trips as well as their usual 2 day trips. Staying out a bit longer will help on fuel costs. Gulf Diving is also incorporating more specialized trips for tech, research and our shop charter for Stetson Bank only. Forward thinking and creative planning benefits both customer and charter company. Airlines are charging over $50.00 for fuel surcharges. We just got hit for an additional $100 per person fuel surcharge for our Cayman Aggressor Trip this December.

Back
Top Bottom