Is the "fee" box still gone from Honolua? (split from Recommendations for Maui )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tim is the "fee" box still gone from Honolua?

I like airport beach. Easy place to relax and I always see "stuff"

I'm not sure as the last time I was there was over a year ago... last I heard there was a disagreement about who actually owned the land ...

I was just up at Honolua (sightseeing with family, not diving) and couldn't find any remnants of a fee box.

Where was this? At the bottom of the hill at the curve? There's a sign there now:

483797503_6a177f080b.jpg

But no box -- there was a gate and an old lady setup with her "wares" out of a van:

483753680_38c7a0a495.jpg

And I remember the same as Tim -- I think there was a three or four way disagreement, with one of the stake-claimers being ML&P. We'll have to see... :)

IIRC, either some guy collecting fees or his son was arrested for assaulting an undecover officer after he declined to pay. That probably discouraged them from harassing people headed down to the water.

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=25714
MauiNews.com:
Tuesday, December 05, 2006 9:24 AM

Autos can’t use path to Honolua Bay

HONOLUA – The dirt passage to Honolua Bay closest to the bridge has been closed indefinitely to vehicles, although the area remains open to pedestrians, Maui Land & Pineapple Co. announced Monday.

The company blocked vehicular access to the path Friday because of a recent increase in unauthorized traffic from the road to the shoreline.

"Closing this dirt path to vehicles will help to protect Honolua Bay’s fragile ecosystem," said Bob McNatt, president of the company’s Community Development Division. "The bay remains accessible to pedestrians as always."

The company dedicated Honolua Bay as part of the Mokuleia Marine Life Conservation District in 1978.

Last month, ML&P filed a lawsuit in 2nd Circuit Court to assert legal ownership of a small lot at Honolua Bay that has caused controversy recently about shoreline access.

Also last month, Maui police conducted an undercover sting to crack down on people asking for or demanding money from visitors who sought access to the bay. One man, Narciso Billianor Jr., was arrested on extortion charges.

Doesn't have anything to do with this subject, but an interesting article that popped up when I searched was
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:54 AM

COUNTY IN BRIEF

MAN ACCUSED OF FIRING SPEAR GUN IN ARGUMENT

PAIA – A Paia man was arrested after he allegedly fired a spear gun at another diver Sunday following an argument at Maliko Gulch, police said.

The incident was reported at 12:26 p.m.

After a confrontation, Johnathan Awai, 19, allegedly discharged the three-pronged spear gun, hitting the other man’s vehicle, said Lt. Glenn Cuomo of the Criminal Investigation Division.

He said Awai and the victim, who didn’t know each other, both had been diving in the area.

Awai was being held in lieu of $2,200 bail Monday after being charged with unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle, attempted second-degree assault, harassment and fourth-degree criminal property damage.
Gotta watch out for the "armed and dangerous" divers. :)

SkullDeformity:
How would you know if a person collecting money for access fees is legit?
Basically, one key part is whether they deny you entry or just threaten to break into your vehicle...

In the case of Honolua, the refusal to pay resulted in the latter. :D

The whole "ownership" dispute came up following their arrest at the end of last year. The "donation" box was at the parking area next to the boat ramp (not by the road) at first it was a donation for being allowed to park on their land, then they started denying access to the water which is against state law here.

I need to get down there and see if things are back to "normal" again or not as summer is the best time for diving there.

thx for the article Charlie - good to know.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
The whole "ownership" dispute came up following their arrest at the end of last year. The "donation" box was at the parking area next to the boat ramp (not by the road) at first it was a donation for being allowed to park on their land, then they started denying access to the water which is against state law here.

I need to get down there and see if things are back to "normal" again or not as summer is the best time for diving there.

thx for the article Charlie - good to know.

Aloha, Tim
Lemme know when, Tim! I'd drive up there to dive it with ya! :D

SkullDeformity:
How would you know if a person collecting money for access fees is legit?
Collecting of fees to access any beach is illegal everywhere in Hawaii.

I personally saw what happened last year when this all went down at Honolua. They were fine to me and my wife cause we get dark and dress unlike tourists so they thought we were locals. But our friends got a lot of hassle and they did have their vehicles theatened.

Al Mialkovsky:
Collecting of fees to access any beach is illegal everywhere in Hawaii.

I personally saw what happened last year when this all went down at Honolua. They were fine to me and my wife cause we get dark and dress unlike tourists so they thought we were locals. But our friends got a lot of hassle and they did have their vehicles theatened.
But wait... does that mean if I decide to hop a fence and walk across someone's property so I can access the beach that I'm not trespassing here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom