Is the DSS Thorus 25 Wing actually a horse shoe?!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
In my personal opinion, the original post was inflammatory in nature.

Furthermore, it occurs to me that if I had this concern with a wing that I bought, I would simpy call or email the manufacturer directly instead of posting an obviously sensational, typo-filled smear thread on a scuba diving forum.

In my opinion your post is elitist and partial in nature, i think my english is good enough so people can understand what i write comfortably, now if my third language spelling skills are not up to SB's standards you should mention that limitation in the forum rules.

But before you mention spelling in the board rules I suggest you and Tobin come to an agreement on the spelling of "inflammatory" and not just on what post is and what post isn't.

Regards,

Wingman_:
i think my english is good enough so people can understand what i write comfortably, now if my third language spelling skills are not up to SB's standards you should mention that limitation in the forum rules.

Wingman,

Your english skills are fine by me, much, much better than my Italian, French or German, (and sometimes english :wink: )

Tobin

Tobin, I'm very impressed with the Torus 26# (of what I've read and heard here, anyway). Has almost all the features I'm looking for: donut, narrow profile, water drain, heavy duty construction, no STA necessary.

With the exception of the STA, how would you rate it against the Oxycheq Mach V? (They seem very similar, 'cept the Mach V requires an STA, however, it has a longer inflator hose).

Everyone keeps making a big deal about inflator (corregated) hoses. They are nothing to change out. Most manufacturers and LDS will give you pretty much any stock lenght you want. If you don't like it they are about 12 bucks and 2 or 3 zip ties to change out.
My Oxycheq came standard with a 12", I had Scubatoys ship me a 19" with it and I bought a 16" from my LDS. I am experimenting with the 3 different lengths on my two wings.
No big deal.

Man I want a longer hose so I can attached my SS1 to it. The hose on the Venture wing was not long enough for my taste.

Another thing to consider the Oxycheq is about $40-50 dollars cheaper. But, the Torus seems like nicer wing IMHO. (NO STA required).

BikerManiac:
Man I want a longer hose so I can attached my SS1 to it. The hose on the Venture wing was not long enough for my taste.

Another thing to consider the Oxycheq is about $40-50 dollars cheaper. But, the Torus seems like nicer wing IMHO. (NO STA required).
I think the Taurus' STA less design comes with a tradoff that some might want to consider. According to DSS website the outer shell is sewn shut thus eliminating the need for a zipper to access the inner bladder, permitting use without a STA. I think the logic behind might be that the inner bladder is so tough there is no need to ever repair or replace it.
I like being able to inspect the inner bladder, but then I can be anal.
Although, I once got home from a beach dive and found that the shaft from my dive float had some how found it's way into one of the drain grommets of my OMS outer shell while my gear bounced around in the mortar trough I use for wet stuff in the back of my vehicle. I did unzip and inspect.

Splitlip:
I think the Taurus'

Not Taurus
But
Torus
a. a doughnut-shaped surface generated by the revolution of a conic, esp. a circle, about an exterior line lying in its plane.
b. the solid enclosed by such a surface.

Splitlip:
STA less design comes with a tradoff that some might want to consider. According to DSS website the outer shell is sewn shut thus eliminating the need for a zipper to access the inner bladder, permitting use without a STA.

All of our single wings use are designed to be used without a STA. Our single wing LCD series all have zippers and are intended to be used without a STA. A 360 degree zipper in the center panel of the Torus wing would have resulted in a wider center panel.

Splitlip:
I think the logic behind might be that the inner bladder is so tough there is no need to ever repair or replace it.I like being able to inspect the inner bladder, but then I can be anal. Although, I once got home from a beach dive and found that the shaft from my dive float had some how found it's way into one of the drain grommets of my OMS outer shell while my gear bounced around in the mortar trough I use for wet stuff in the back of my vehicle.

We do not use grommets for drains, we use 4 layers of tough mesh.

Splitlip:
I did unzip and inspect.

Why not just inflate it? If it holds gas there's a pretty good chance you did not poke a hole in it.

Tobin

Here's the Oxycheq Mach V. As you can see, it sports a 360 degree zipper with a center panel that is about the width of standard weight belt webbing. Now that's narrow!

With this wing you can access the wing without having to return it to the manufacturer. Of course, it requires a STA... but some of us much prefer using separate metal STAs over the built in elastomeric ones.

mach_V_4.jpg

mach_V_10.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom