Is Suunto really that bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think those that complain about Suuntos the loudest are people who have them on liveaboards where they are doing 4-5 dives a day for 6 days in a row. By day 3, divers on more aggressive computers are still getting out of the water after a 3 minute safety stop, whereas the Suunto wearers are hanging on the line for 15 minutes before they can get out.

Makes you seriously question the value of computers over standard tables and a plan.

A lot of divers take sides, a la computer geeks swearing allegiance to Linux or foreswearing windows... A good read of the manual usually reveals settings that allow the user to customize the computer.

Even if you do not customize (and make less conservative) a Suunto, in my experience it's the diver, not the computer, that makes the dive longer and safer.

A lot of divers take sides, a la computer geeks swearing allegiance to Linux or foreswearing windows... A good read of the manual usually reveals settings that allow the user to customize the computer.

Even if you do not customize (and make less conservative) a Suunto, in my experience it's the diver, not the computer, that makes the dive longer and safer.

Um, not really. You can only make a Suunto so liberal, period. One of the nice things about working in a resort type area - I see all sorts of computers, I see their benefits, the downfalls, etc. Suunto computers are always the most conservative and more often than not, divers are on the surface with Suunto computers before any other model... Unlike the PC wars where many of the advantages and disadvantages are qualitative in nature, dive computers are quantitative in nature. That means you can put a stopwatch on one and get an exact result. Many many times, between co-workers, we have borrowed others computers and taken multiple brands on the same dives to see the differences... No matter what, Suunto is the most conservative, no matter what the setting is...

Here's where its the diver - if you dive a liberal computer, such as the Pelagics, then you control your safety margin, not the computer. If you want to run close to the edge (and have more time than a Suunto), you can, however, at the same time, if you want, you can choose to dive more conservative and spend less time than a Suunto - but you don't completely rely on the dive computer, instead, the computer between your ears - come up with X amount of nitrogen loading bars, and no more, for instance.

I know how to make my Gekko more conservative, but not how to make it less conservative.

you can make them less conservative, to a certain point - even their least conservative settings are quite a ways off from other manufacturers standard settings...

Here's where its the diver - if you dive a liberal computer, such as the Pelagics, then you control your safety margin, not the computer. If you want to run close to the edge (and have more time than a Suunto), you can, however, at the same time, if you want, you can choose to dive more conservative and spend less time than a Suunto - but you don't completely rely on the dive computer, instead, the computer between your ears - come up with X amount of nitrogen loading bars, and no more, for instance.

Taking this logic to an extreme, you could have complete control over your safety margin by referring to, say, a table rather than a computer. As you put it, "If you want to run close to the edge ... you can." Just dive to the very limits of the table. Or you could just as easily make your dive as conservative as you want.

For all the people who say Suunto is "too conservative," I say then go use a table rather than a computer and feel free to stay down as long as YOU think is "safe."

Taking this logic to an extreme, you could have complete control over your safety margin by referring to, say, a table rather than a computer. As you put it, "If you want to run close to the edge ... you can." Just dive to the very limits of the table. Or you could just as easily make your dive as conservative as you want.

For all the people who say Suunto is "too conservative," I say then go use a table rather than a computer and feel free to stay down as long as YOU think is "safe."

actually, your logic is severely erred...

a table is even more conservative than, say, a Suunto...

All computers use an algorithm that has been tested to be safe. Pelagics, for instance, are more liberal than Suunto's. If I am diving a Pelagic, and it says I have 20 minutes of NDL before I run into Deco, and I want to ascend to be a touch safer, then I can, or, air permitting, if I wish to stay longer, I can, without penalty by my computer, and still be reasonably assured that I am safe (thousands or millions of divers use Pelagic computers for thousands or millions of dives and I've never seen a report showing that they are more likely to get bent). If I am diving a Suunto, I may not have the option of staying, and be required to surface, or face a deco obligation. This is how I get to choose and set my own conservatism on a liberal computer.

Tables are the MOST conservative, and sure, you can be more conservative, but you can't be less, for sure. If I do a dive to 52 feet, I calculate that as 60' on my tables, which gives me 55 minutes NDL. That is already a very conservative factor, yet if I want to stay even more conservative, then I don't spend the whole 55 minutes, simple as that.

No where in any of my examples do I suggest staying longer than your computer or table is happy, I only suggest that you can make your own computer more conservative than it is simply by using your brain, rather than being completely limited by the conservative algorithm embedded in your computer.

Um, not really. You can only make a Suunto so liberal, period.

Not strictly true. You could pretend you were breathing a mix 2% more oxygen rich than you were actually using.

Of course you should NEVER do that. I certainly never would. Almost never.
:shocked2:

I used to ride a "slow" motorcycle, at least it was slow compared to some bikes. It was still way quicker than any car I could afford. Similarly, I chose a Suunto knowing it was conservative compared to other brands. I still get more bottom time than I did when I used the tables. I know have a Uwatec computer I use as a backup. With both of them on my arm for every dive, I don't notice a huge difference in NDLs. But then I almost always have at least an hour of SI, and rarely do more than two dives a day.

One thing I can tell you from using both the Gekko and the Aladin Prime on every dive: the Suunto is much easier to deal with as far as changing settings, navigating the menus, etc.

I have a uwatec smart Z and have it set as liberal as it will go, I was in San Padro at 145 ft for 18 mins on 21% and the damb thing said 32 mins deco with a 120hp I was in trouble. My buddies computer said 10 mins at 15 ft ...navy tables. Thank God I will only dive with a pony bottle.

I have to admit this was Fonzworth bank near Catalina Is, and we went to deep it can happen to anyone. What would I have done if we both dove Suunto or like ???

If ya really like the sport and are going to continue with it further than rec diving I would suggest you do some research to what your need's may be in the future .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom