Is Solo Pool Practice OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG....REALLY????

honestly, if you cannot safely solo in a pool, you you lack the coordination/mental aptitude/water skills to dive in the first place.....

lots of nanny state guys here....

if you are inept enough to get into trouble in a pool, i dont want you diving anywhere near me as you are likely to put not only yourself,but others in serious danger on a real dive.

I got here late.
Is solo pool practice OK?
Thanks

Yes.
As long as you come up from every dive.

Chug
Pony bottle aficionado.

Yardpro, not helpful. Many people don't know what they don't know when they are starting out and attitudes and responses like that don't help a new person learn and understand their sport. Please stay off the high horse and try to understand how it can be to be a new diver that may not be as skillful as you are, everyone starts somewhere.

I found this late and have sampled replies and probably fall in the middle.

On the surface (no pun intended) it's perfectly safe to dive in and practice buoyancy basic skills and diving in general. However It's entirely possible to catch a lungful of water in a bungled regulator recovery drill, go into a coughing fit pass out and die on the bottom. That being said I have come close to doing the same thing with a common cold on a highway on ramp.......

I too am surprised that they will permit this.

Last edited:
no high horse ego...

my response was not directed at the OP...is was directed at all those that were saying that it was dangerous and should not be done.

i was in no way referring to the skill set of the poster...

having passed his OW and having 10 dives under his/her belt, he/she should have a more than adequate skill set to solo in a pool.

If not then they should have never been issued a card in the first place.

this is what is what i was implying.

so lighten up francis

There's risk to everything. The level of risk here seems exceedingly low, however. Yes, OP could have a heart attack and die on the bottom of the pool. Same could happen to any of us the next time we're using the toilet, but we don't use the buddy system there. Or at least, speaking for myself...I don't. No judgement, of course. :cool2:

pdxgal...

this is my same train of thought...

i giggle at the nanny state mentality... you need a buddy in a pool in case you have a heart attack..... WTF? really is this the overly safety oriented society we have become.....

do we need a buddy driving 70 in an interstate where a heart attack could kill us and many others...

come on people...there IS risk in entering the water...if you cant accept that stay on land.

you could be swimming in the pool and a heart attack would kill you... so do i need a buddy then too?

Two or three months ago, in a pool I regularly visit in my city, a 29 yo swimmer died from heart attack. Guess what, he did't had a buddy, he had fully trained lifeguards near him, and he died anyway.
No matter what you do, you will never get 0 risk.
For those who can read romanian or want to use google translate, here it is:
Un tân

I was single and alone a LOT 'til age 40. whoa.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom