Is Solo Pool Practice OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a former lifeguard, certified pool operator,instructor for various water survival and other skills in the military, and long time diver I'll say it's always best to have another person in the area that is aware of what you are doing and knows what to look for if something goes wrong.....but to echo what others have said here, there is nothing wrong with practicing skills by yourself in a pool or in open water (in my opinion) for that matter. It simply comes down to this, know your limits and what you are personally willing to risk diving your profiles/practicing your skills. I would kill to still have free pool access!

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. If you are all alone practicing, are you doing it right or not?

If you coach yourself, you often have an idiot for a client.

I'm fortunate to have a pool in the nearby city where the aquatics director was more than happy for me to use the Olympic pool to practice. Water is 4-12' deep. Viz is super, best around here, but that's not saying much. I weighed the pros and cons that I could think of and I decided to dive solo in the pool. Life guards have been great. One helped me with my wetsuit zipper and another (off duty) dived in to give me a hand with some equipment. Oh, yea. I thank the life guards after every session. I avoid the crowded times. Glad for the suggestion to get a tank boot.

I "solo" dive in my backyard pool almost every week in the summer. Why you may ask? Because I do my own pool work (chemicals, filter, cleaning, etc.) and, instead of standing with a pole in my hand in the hot sun, I prefer to vacuum my pool from the bottom. I do a much better job that way, making sure that every tiny speck gets picked up. It's also about 45 minutes of guaranteed "can't be bothered" time with no phone calls or honey-dos from my wife...yup very peaceful.

My pool's max depth is 8.5 feet and I am 6'2" so I really don't think the "solo" thing really comes into it. If I was OOA, I would simply stand up...even at the deep end my head is out of the water standing on my fin tips. I suppose if I had a heart attack I'd be screwed, but I think the same thing would be true if I were driving alone or home alone for that matter.

Practice in your pool, it's fine!

I "solo" dive in my backyard pool almost every week in the summer. Why you may ask? Because I do my own pool work (chemicals, filter, cleaning, etc.) and, instead of standing with a pole in my hand in the hot sun, I prefer to vacuum my pool from the bottom. I do a much better job that way, making sure that every tiny speck gets picked up. It's also about 45 minutes of guaranteed "can't be bothered" time with no phone calls or honey-dos from my wife...yup very peaceful.

My pool's max depth is 8.5 feet and I am 6'2" so I really don't think the "solo" thing really comes into it. If I was OOA, I would simply stand up...even at the deep end my head is out of the water standing on my fin tips. I suppose if I had a heart attack I'd be screwed, but I think the same thing would be true if I were driving alone or home alone for that matter.

Practice in your pool, it's fine!

Right. Which skill can you not practise in that depth? You can easily die of a heart attack any time you are alone. Like my 20 years in Northern Manitoba before I was married. And several times yearly now at my age (not counting solo diving).

I have found diving solo in my pool is not only great pleasure but the best way to clean the bottom...and not having to listen to the wife and two daughters.

Obviously you don't have a Labrador.

Mine will walk around the pool a couple of times checking me out, then starts dropping her toys in the pool, wanting me to pick them up, surface, and toss them for her like I do when I swim.
Hehe, so your dog tosses stuff in the pool for you to retrieve? :wink:

I used to throw a ball as far as I could for my greyhounds; very cool to watch them streak after it, snatch it up without breaking stride and bring it back, all at 30-40 mph. Problem was they would always lose interest just after I chucked the ball the 3rd or 4th time. I think they enjoyed making me do the fetching for a change.

To answer your question James....does practice with a person that doesn't know what right is make it anymore right? The right answer for solo diving is generally what works best for you. I practice all the time on my own...may not be what any agency wants to see, but my skills work in practice sessions and in real life situations for me.

I would want someone there who is keeping an eye on me and is well capable of reaching the bottom of the pool. That would almost be true for swimming period, so it's not such a stress to require it for someone fussing w/ dive gear.
Keep in mind that many casual swimmers can't reach the bottom of a 4m pool without swim fins. Actually many casual swimmers clearly don't feel comfortable putting their faces underwater so these people are not going to be any help to you at the bottom of the pool.

You seem to have less than 25 dives. At least at this stage of your diving experience IMHO you should take someone with you that is either also using scuba (and certified) or at least has a mask and fins.

BTW, since this is not a private pool, ask what the responsible authority wants you to do. I suspect are either pool rules or at the least the facility's insurance policy will stipulate that no one is allowed in the pool "unattended".

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom