Is Solo Pool Practice OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be fine. Go play in the dumb pool, if you end up dying in a pool with gear on... natural selection is all I'm saying. Go have some fun

Go for it. Lifeguard, no lifeguard, probably makes no difference if you really think about it (except for a slip and fall while entering/exiting). Why?? Because if you have a complete mechanical failure (unbelievably rare), you'll just surface calmly. If you don't surface calmly and manage to embolize yourself, well, the lifeguard will be of limited use.

Or, if you have a heart attack, stop breathing, and after several minutes the lifeguard suddenly notices that the bubbles have stopped... same outcome.

If you go underwater without an attentive buddy, you are on your own, even in a "crowded" setting.

And, I still say go for it, as long as you understand that you will likely NOT be saved if manage to get in trouble and drown yourself in a swimming pool while using open circuit (But how likely is that??? I mean, really...).

Best wishes.

You can't narc out in 9 ft, if you C.E.S.A to the surface you most likely won't embolize. If you're on the verge of a heart attack, don't dive. If my buds 9 year old son can play with tanks in a pool and be fine, I'm sure you'll be fine

Thanks to every one who replied. Yes I feel very comfortable in the pool alone. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dumb, newby idea. My big skills to practice are 1) buoyancy, 2) trim, 3) Fin technique, learn frog kick, etc., 4) other basic skills.

I just got back from Bonaire and I found that my buoyance wasn't always under control and when I was filmed by a buddy I realize I was swimming with fee way down about 30 degrees low. Blew me away (I thought I was level).

let's put it like this. I'm at 600 something dives, fairly experienced. (Waiting for a a buddy to catch up to finish full cave) and I went out last weekend. My trim was garbage. You'll get it spot on and change 1 little thing and it takes a month to get it back to perfect. Don't be upset with yourself just get in with a good shop that will help you. You may need to move your tank up just a hair or use less led in the hips or change fins or get thicker booties. It's a 100 variables it's all about tuning

Video is an amazing teaching tool. I've vaguely considered getting one for pool practice, to see what is really going on during skills practice.

I usually get home in the evening about an hour before my wife. In the summer months she'll usually find me at the bottom of our pool in full scuba kit, just laying there, decompressing from the workday. The only one watching me is my dog...and honestly I don't think he gives a crap what his stupid human is doing.

Obviously you don't have a Labrador.

Mine will walk around the pool a couple of times checking me out, then starts dropping her toys in the pool, wanting me to pick them up, surface, and toss them for her like I do when I swim.

Bob

I once knew a guy who died while practicing skills alone in a pool ... but he was on a rebreather.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There you go...you are safe as long as you keep it on an open circuit and stay off the rebreathers. :d

Back
Top Bottom