Is Solo Pool Practice OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've read every response in this thread so far and I still don't know if it's ok to practice solo in a pool or not! :idk: LOL

Although, I can't imagine what kind of danger there would be if you are in the shallower end, where you can just stand up anyway.

So I've read every response in this thread so far and I still don't know if it's ok to practice solo in a pool or not! :idk: LOL

Although, I can't imagine what kind of danger there would be if you are in the shallower end, where you can just stand up anyway.[/QUOTE

I alluded to that back in March. Perhaps you should read some threads in the Solo forum?

I really need water practice and I live a long ways from warm water. My local indoor pool has agreed to allow early morning practice sessions with scuba gear. What are your thoughts on the safety of this idea. It seems OK to me but I am newly certified with only 10 dives logged so I need your suggestions.

Thanks

Yes, it is okay. Some YMCAs will allow SCUBA divers in off hours to practice or test equipment. I even tested my scooter in the pool and towed all the kids around hanging off my feet, it was quite an adventure. It depends upon the facility, some will, some will not. I have also fully kitted out my kayak and practiced kayak SCUBA diving, in the Y pool.

IMG_1302.jpg

You know, there is a lifeguard and while most teenager lifeguards do not know much about compressed gas and embolism I am sure they could haul you out if need be. Lifeguard class:

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

N

This was a good thread. I'm a new diver myself (7 dives) and we have a pool in my community. I figured when I want to dive and can't I can always refresh myself on all of the things I learned in my OW class. I just ordered a SMB and figured a pool would be a perfect place to practice

I just ordered a SMB and figured a pool would be a perfect place to practice
Yes it is. Having done both I can assure you it's much less of a problem when you manage to get the SMB line caught on your regulator (or tank valve) at 10 feet under water in a pool then at 60 feet. Still annoying, but it is just annoying.

As a teen, I used to hyperventilate to flush out CO2 from my system, then jump into our pool in the backyard with a weight belt on. I'd sink to the to the bottom and practice holding my breath as long as I could. I worked up to almost 3 minutes. I did this alone many times.

I also used IV tubing from excess IV bags to pump air (with a bicycle pump) down to a plastic tub which was inverted at the bottom of the pool. I'd go down and breath from the makeshift "diving bell" while a friend would try to pump fresh air down into the plastic tub for me to breath. I'd sit on the bottom with a weight belt and try to stay down for minutes at a time.

If only I'd known then what I knew now about the risks of a black out...

Don't be stupid and you should be fine. Probably safer than I was doing much of the things I did in my pool as a kid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom