Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My head's not nearly as hard as yours! :D :D :D For those who don't know, back mounted doubles act like a bumper guard for your head. Not perfect, but usually your tanks will hit the ceiling before your head does. Move those tanks out of the way and your head is less protected. Either way, this should be a very rare event... until you go lights out. Also, it's a great place to mount lights and a GoPro.

full
alternatively, dont bash into the ceiling with your tanks or your head.
part of that whole awareness thing you're so big on

part of that whole awareness thing you're so big on
That should be next to impossible where sidemount has advantages in a cave.
You will scrape on rock or touch silt.

Too late for you! :D :D :D

The helmet has always been another cause of conflict for me.
Could be a local thing, because of some historic accidents that happened with helmets and head mounted gear (namely broken necks when jumping of a boat with a helmet, and panic situations caused by the helmet), but I also met that attitude with divers of other nationalities.

With a helmet even more than with the sidemount gear you are immediately identifiable as someone not doing everything the way everybody else does.

People also tent to think like demonstrated in the post above:
"Ah, so you plan to hit your head", "Don't you know to be careful?", "Ah, so you plan to damage my favorite wreck?", "Someone who needs a helmet is unable to dive properly"...

The helmet has always been another cause of conflict for me.
Could be a local thing, because of some historic accidents that happened with helmets and head mounted gear (namely broken necks when jumping of a boat with a helmet, and panic situations caused by the helmet), but I also met that attitude with divers of other nationalities.

With a helmet even more than with the sidemount gear you are immediately identifiable as someone not doing everything the way everybody else does.

People also tent to think like demonstrated in the post above:
"Ah, so you plan to hit your head", "Don't you know to be careful?", "Ah, so you plan to damage my favorite wreck?", "Someone who needs a helmet is unable to dive properly"...

Can you elaborate on what you said about helmets causing broken necks or in what way they would cause panic in a diver? I have never heard of this before so a bit curious. Thanks

Can you elaborate on what you said about helmets causing broken necks or in what way they would cause panic in a diver? I have never heard of this before so a bit curious. Thanks
Those storys I even laught at myself @OrangeCountyScuba and because of the tragic topic they are hard to translate without offending someone.

In my opinion by the time the stories reach me they have to be distorted so much I cannot guess the true parts from the fiction anymore.
Most stories turn into cave diving stories or something other extreme, I often think things like that more realistic happening to overenthusiastic noobs.
But thay have in common when told that people insist they of course happended to very experienced divers (sic.).

I will repeat two examples that people have told me more than once each:

First the neck-breaking thing.
Quite Easy: floaty helmet not meant for water but for climbing to the dive site (could be cave, could be in the mountains, could be arriving by bicycle :wink: )
When jumping into the water from more than 5m something like that might break a neck easily, true.
I still think it a hoax to win an argument :wink:
I do not bring floaty helmets to the dive site myself, so why worry anyway.

Second the panic part:
That is more realistic I think.
Helmets change the sounds drastically sometimes, might collide with mask and hoses, straps might entangle in hoses and regulator.
So I won't go into details and just jump to the conclusion:
For someone with unknown latened claustrophobia a helmet might even prove fatal in open water dives.

For myself I know I would just take of the helmet, so I never feared something like it.
But when people bring it into the argument, I often admit that might be a 'theoretically possible risk', I still insist on 'improblable'.

Last edited:
So have you ever heard a GUE instructor call anybody a stroke? Because most that I know (at least cave instructors) also dive sidemount if the dive warrants it :banghead: And yes GUE (I don't know dir) is exclusive but only on following group procedures, not because of some perception of being cool... that only exists in your head. But I digress... back on topic.

Bill Gavin coined the phrase. At least, he did according to Jarrod Jablonski who published it on his website. [Citation needed?] http://www.gue.com/index.php?q=doing-it-right-gear-configuration

There ya go.

@Razorista
Thanks for the reply. The first one, floaty helmet sounds absurd but never say never I suppose. The second one, tangled helmet makes far more sense. That being said, dont you think that someone who is wearing that helmet (likely a cave or tec diver?) would have adequate time to train with it prior to conducting an actual dive, I would think so.
What you said about claustrophobia utilizing the helmet, in what way would you think that it could cause death in OW? Not trying to bait you for anything, just never really kicked that idea around.

@OrangeCountyScuba I've never seen a climbing helmet with foam inserts. I've seen them in bicycle helmets, but not climbing helmets. I've never heard of either of those arguments either. Not sure if we are experiencing an ESL issue here or not. They are pretty common here in cave country.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom