Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you need a SM card? no where that I have been diving.
My wife doesn't dive, so the iberostar Coz. is a good fit for us. Dressel's is the on-site op and they require a c-card. They can also provide PADI training. That said, I know it's the last place most SB members would stay. I think the course is helpful but far from necessary for anyone who has basic scuba skills. Might be mandatory for some trips though.

I like the orange fins (and all of the other orange stuff too), but pray tell what does fin color have to do with sidemount, backmount, no mount?

:) I could say the particular pigment of Deep6 fins improve the over all ability of the fin to grab water..... but in reality it has more to do with the amount of plastic injected into the mold.... I am a gear fanatic and try lots of different fins... but after trying the Orange fins (only come in orange and black that I'm aware of) they ROCK for back fining... I'm sure the black ones would too... I just like the Orange ones :) The fins are a LOT like Force Fins in the sense of you don't even feel the resistance of the fin when you are using it but there is an amazing amount of power available when fining.... and OH... did I mention back fining was SUPER EASY???

I think the course is helpful but far from necessary for anyone who has basic scuba skills..

I consider myself a fish (Pete would say Manatee) so taking to SM was I thought going to be an easy thing to do.... I spent 2 years changing, tweaking, modifying my gear and technique.... Got in the water with Chris R. and in 30 minutes was a completely changed diver.... The other big improvement was going from a Frankenstein trans-pac to a built for SM rig.... So yeah a diver with basic skills can probably learn the basics on their own... but having someone that knows SM spend just a little time in the water with you can make ALL the difference in the world.

Tim

this time he insults someone's gear
He's got a point,
Does he? What was the insult?

I'll clarify what happened. One of my friends had recently gotten hurt while diving doubles. Hell, an injury is what drove me to side mount in the first place, so I asked the obvious question about why she was still diving back mount. Only liteheaded would consider that an "insult". What followed was a horror story about how many times they had both been actually disparaged for diving in Back Mounted doubles. It's really not the first time I had heard this. Heck, I read it here from time to time. Just read the "Sidemount Bicker Battle" in this forum, and you'll start to see the intolerance and infighting I am writing about.
I didn't mean to insult, Pete, I was pointing out that sometimes you see issues where others don't and bring them up for discussion.
It would take a lot for you to insult me, Frank. Like I posted earlier, I like your frankness. You're a great and often thoughtful counter point. I often laugh at your trolls.

(Pete would say Manatee)
If the fin fits, bruddah! If the fin fits. :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Does he? What was the insult?
I know, it's just funny that the people in the story were annoiyed by you poking fun at their twinsets and right after that post basically that back mount divers think SM divers are being douchy.

Just read the "Sidemount Bicker Battle" in this forum, and you'll start to see the intolerance and infighting I am writing about.
The 'Bicker Battle' thread didn't really have anything to do with sidemount diving, IMHO.

I know, it's just funny that the people in the story were annoiyed by you poking fun at their twinsets and right after that post basically that back mount divers think SM divers are being douchy.
I was the proverbial straw and picked up on their angst. I think they have a legitimate beef.

The 'Bicker Battle' thread didn't really have anything to do with sidemount diving, IMHO.
Which is why I pruned it off a thread that actually did.

The other big improvement was going from a Frankenstein trans-pac to a built for SM rig....
Sorry to hear your transition was a struggle Tim.
Can I assume the rig was 95% the problem?
I found comfort, control and trim all improved over bm. Immediately.

I still say its Petes fault well him and his buddy Lamar. They ganged up on me at the Scubaboard Surge event and forced me to drink the sidemount koolaid. I felt dirty afterward..... :poke::yeahbaby:

I hadnt thought much about sidemount until I had a chance to try it now both sets of my doubles are broke down for sidemount. I am glad to have been offered the opportunity to try sidemount and my wallet is lighter after ordering some extra gear but I think it will work out for me in the end. I kept hearing people saying I dont do doubles anymore because of xxxxxx injury. So I decided to skip the bad disk in my back and more wear on my knees and will do the sidemount thing.

What followed was a horror story about how many times they had both been actually disparaged for diving in Back Mounted doubles.
Yep, have had the same experience and still people shake their heads when I get in the water with drysuit and twin backmount in mid summer. Just because their standard is wetsuit and single back mount they call me nuts. But then, they consider Nitrox 32 very dangerous and "you should never use it..." and "...solo diving is crazy...". They however consider diving on air to 50m AL80 and beyond save. Now who's nuts?

As far as I'am concerned: I dive with everybody in every config as long as it's save. I don't judge, I am curious however why other people do things different. That's what I call learning. I fully understand why you say SM is the new DIR. Some people just do not want to explore new ways after training and consider what they are tought during their education as the holy commandments in diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom