Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I was referring to their infamous usegroup.
rec.scuba is mostly dead, but apparently there are still some diehards out there. There were legitimate scuba related posts made to the group as recently as today. Although you can see that it mostly died off about two years ago.

It's interesting looking at the old posts on rec.scuba. Discussions 11 years ago about Paul De Gennaro hitting 320m on OC. According to the post, his team was planning a subsequent dive to 400m.

Re: gue/utd vs DIR. I was under the apparently incorrect understanding that DIR is what GUE taught, and UTD was similar but offered more flexibility with regards to gear configuration - especially sidemount. I stand corrected, but I want to point out that the post about "strokes" wasn't on a DIR website, it was on gue.com .

I did meet a 20-something GUE diver at one of the scubaboard megadive events. I asked him about the whole attitude thing and he told me all about GUE. We talked for like an hour. He was a real nice guy, unfortunately I forget his name. If all GUE divers presented themselves like that guy, GUE would seem much more attractive to the world I'm sure.

Last edited:
Just to pick up on the DIR thread, I hope that those seen as representatives of DIR (I to hope to see that term fade away), myself included, are viewed as positive and inclusive. That is certainly a big part of UTD's vision under Jeff and AG. Unfortunately, as soon as you mention "doing it right" it infers that others are doing it wrong.....and that is inherent with the term.

Personally I'm pleased to see the adoption of some of the DIR skills/procedures of the 4 letter agencies into their tech programs and even some rec programs.

I've found many over the years are a positive element, those that aren't often don't have a vested interest ("did fundies once.....") or are a fanatical personally to begin with. Luckily, these are few.

comprised people who generally treat others in the greater dive community respectfully, even when they have concerns about how some of them are approaching their dives. (Grateful Diver)

BOY .... that has NOT been my experience...

Again, just curious but why would someone get the boot from GUE for claiming DIR, since it seems like that is where GUE's foundation came from?

I don't think anyone has gotten the boot for using the term DIR. AG was released because he was teaching some nonsense. He still is, but that's something for another thread.

alternatively, dont bash into the ceiling with your tanks or your head.
part of that whole awareness thing you're so big on

^^ THIS!

The term DIR isn't used anymore by GUE. But all the principles remain the same. They still don't think you should dive with unsafe divers, still use the same gases, still standardize gear etc.
So what are you supposed to call it now than? There are lots of people that didn't get the memo over here.
And what do you call strokes now?

Since when is UTD DIR?

Last edited:
So what do you called now than? There are lots of people that didn't get the memo over here.
And what do you call strokes now?

Since when is UTD DIR?
I, for one, still say DIR and strokes.

WHAT OF IT?!? :p

And yet you go cave diving with strokes, ey?
I read that KUR report that was posted on cdf the other day.
Those guys are more squared away than most GUE divers and the WKPP has actually partnered with KUR. Both teams support each other.

Stroke = unsafe in attitude or practice. Those dudes are not.

Last edited:
Oh, and while we're at it. There is a German guy who started another 'DIR' agency that is supposed to be like GUE, it's called ISE. The head honcho was an instructor with GUE at some point (don't know what level though)... I don't know what happened. Word on the street is that he got booted too.
They also offer every course imaginable, CCR, pSCR, Cave, Sidemount... you name it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom