Is quick release important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick:
Your answers aren't adding up.
Now that we've got that foolishness out of the way, do you want to know what we do, how we do it and most of all why?

String:
In YOUR view. In my view, they dont.

Even in the "recreational" range, a lost belt at 30 or 40m will send you up, rapidly with a risk of AGE, DCS and other barotrauma.

In of the view they EVERYONE should be able to bail themselves out and not have to rely on a potentially unreliable third party (ie a buddy). That doesnt mean dive solo, it means that outside instruction all divers should be able to sensibly rescue themselves from most situations.

As to your first point, are you disagreeing with me as to the % of people of the dive population into tech diving or my notion that basic recreational scuba divers (AL80 divers) should have ditachable weights? I think we would disagree on either point.

As to your second point, as I said earlier I understand that risk. I accept that risk as being the lesser of two evils, the other being drowning. And I have lost a weight pocket from a weight integrated BC at depth (70 feet or so). That was half my lead. I continued the dive, communicated the predicament to my dive buddy, ended the dive early (knowing my AL80 was becoming less negative as I breathed it down), and completed a safe ascent and open water 15 foot safety stop. She assisted me in staying nuetral on the stop.

As to your third point, I agree that every diver should be able to bail themselves out of most situations. And every driver should be able to avoid most accidents. And every doctor should be able to avoid malpractice mistakes. And ever shooter should put every hole in the ten ring.
We don't live in that world. Even if well trained, sh** happens. I like to think I'm a pretty good diver. I dive in true zero vis well overweighted now and then for work - that means the diving has to be second nature so I can focus on the work I'm doing. Sometimes hard, physical work. I like to think I'm capable of self rescue in most recreational diving situations, but I'm not going to rely on that to the point of crippling the ability of a rescuer to get me positive.

CompuDude:
For someone who has been on SB since 2001, you suck at reading.

Check Thalassamania's profile before questioning his credentials. It's all there, in black and white. He's got more credentials than you can hope for in the next 10 years.

And the breadth and quality of his posts here on SB back that up.

Nope, I got tired of reading posts from people who don't know there stuff.

I know engineers with PHD's that shouldn't be building a sandwich. No difference in Scuba.

Since you don't know about my background you to are talkin out your rear.

I don't and never did it for the paper cards you get. Most people with lots of cards aren't great divers.

And in one year he's made over 4000 posts. Think he likes to talk about himself?

Thalassamania:
That’s what you think. There’s never been need for a certificate beyond the detailed training record book that each receives, except when working at European Universities where the workplace safety stuff has required me to write an additional letter and them to get a CMAS Scientific Diver Brevet.

That’s not what I said, I stated that: “Clearly you've never tried it. I can drop a 35 lb weight belt in 60 feet of water, flare out and exhale to the surface at a rate of slightly more than 70FPM.” You asked “Have you ever had to do this?” And forgiving your incredible rudeness considering that I just stated that I had in point of fact done that and told you what the resultant ascent rate was, I added that I do it (remember what it is?) “Several dozen times every class (I should have said course rather than class so as to be completely clear) from 20 feet.” This is, in point of fact, the case. It’s part of the training and I use a full gear, doff and don, with a buoyant ascent in the middle as part of my normal kata.

And I answered: “Don't know about an overweighted student, never had one.” And I can say the same about a new diver: “Don't know about an overweighted new diver, never had one.” I added that “… every student has done this several dozen times every class from 20 feet and at least once in o/w from 30.” This is part of their training.

My students and divers do not need to have their weight checked by my or by a DM before entering the water. Perhaps yours do, but please don’t project the awkwardness and incompetence that you’re used to onto programs that you know nothing about.
Probably not right.” Once again, please don’t project the awkwardness and incompetence that you’re used to onto programs that you know nothing about.

Frankly, it appears that you do no think, “so” nor “not so.”
Between the free diving doff and don and the scuba doff and don 36 is likely a low estimate. We have 14 pool session and typically 12 available practice sessions that most student attend so thats 26 pool “adventures” and I’m sure they do at least two doff and dons per session … that’s 48 right there without even getting to open water.

They add up, you just have no idea of what your talking about.

OK, new diver with your " Book". Goes to Great Lakes and boards a dive boat. Ask for cards and produce none but the book. Guy will tell you No Joy.

Seen it happen many times. You can talk all you want. They won't let ya on the boat.

My divers don't have there weight checked Either. They're usually overweighted. For good reason. I don't teach Recreational. But have many Students who do. Even instructor trainers and course directors.

Like ya said, you don't know what diving I do. But this IS a rec forum so I'm talking about recreational diving. Wanna start talking Recovery or Commercial that's a different ball game.

By the way, my divers don't get cards either. But once again, It's not Recreational. And this is. I just get a call to verify. But, they ain't going wreck divin. Well, some of them are but it's for a good reason.

"...you just have no idea of what your talking about."
"That’s what you think."
" For someone who has been on SB since 2001, you suck at reading."
"I've got nothing to prove to you, you're a nobody on the internet."
"Since you don't know about my background you to are talkin out your rear."

:( Can't we all just get along? My mom would send the lot of you to your rooms.

(By someone who's sooo inexperienced, I have nothing to lose."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom