Is nitrox worth it for deeper rec dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We pretty much all know I'm a stubborn b**ch. Excuuuuse me for thinking out loud. I'll try to remember next time that such threads are not tolerated here.
Marie,
For your relative lack of experience, you are very opinionated. If you want open discussion, come here to SB. If you simply want validation of you own opinions, it might be best to keep them to yourself. Of course, I dive in the ocean, probably have no right to comment.

Marie,
For your relative lack of experience, you are very opinionated. If you want open discussion, come here to SB. If you simply want validation of you own opinions, it might be best to keep them to yourself. Of course, I dive in the ocean, probably have no right to comment.

One cannot seek validation of their own opinion if they keep them to themself.

Just sayin.

-Z

I dive in Lake Erie regularly on the deep end of no deco limits (100-130 ft). I never dive air 1) due to the multiple deep dives per day 2) and don't want to feel like plain garbage at the end of the day. I could care less what my buddy is diving whether it be air or nitrox. I dive nitrox because it makes me feel better at the end of the day. I don't let the cost of fills be an issue when you're at that depth.

Nope, you want custom blends, you need O2 clean tanks. And O2 cleaned tanks are necessary for any of my trips. I've yet to find banked nitrox at any of my possible destinations.
No. Here is an example. You want 28% @3000psi and have air and 32% available. Fill 32% to 1900 psi. Then top off with air to 3000 psi. No O2 cleaning required.

I'm a firm believer in gas matching for the entire team. If your buddy isn't diving nitrox, that throws a small wrinkle in things. Here's something else to consider when diving deep on nitrox. At 130' you aren't gaining a huge advantage in bottom time, but in addition to whatever you get, you also gain some off-gassing efficiency on ascent. Again, this is not a huge gain (compared to using 50 or 100%), but personally I like the idea of off gassing a little more efficiently. I dive nitrox whenever possible.

No. Here is an example. You want 28% @3000psi and have air and 32% available. Fill 32% to 1900 psi. Then top off with air to 3000 psi. No O2 cleaning required.

Unless that's her LDS policy... I'd be surprised if it was, DRIS is a pretty large/ well know shop (IMO)...

Moving on from the above statement, even if she just dove the best mix for her first 2 dives (bringing 2 tanks of nitrox with her for a 4 tank charter/ trip), and then went to air for the second 2 dives I think it'd still be worth it... again, just my opinion.

Diving nitrox, even when limited by your buddies use of standard air, still provides the nitrox diver with less N loading then if they were on air as well... and again, makes diving nitrox worth it again (especially considered the depth and other factors associated with these specific Great Lakes dives)...

37.5% increase in bottom time :)

120’ Ean30, that’s 44.4% increase in bt.

110 ‘ Ean32, that’s 63.6% increase in bt.

100’ Ean32, that’s 50% increase in bt.

:popcorn:
You are showing 8 minutes at 130 on air?

Dive nitrox. It's more efficient on the ascent and overall you will have less decompression stress, especially if diving with buddies who are more limited by their NDL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom