Is nitrox worth it for deeper rec dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We pretty much all know I'm a stubborn b**ch. Excuuuuse me for thinking out loud. I'll try to remember next time that such threads are not tolerated here.

It isn't that the threads are not tolerated, but you are in the "Advanced" section asking advanced questions. When you seem to have already made up your mind, people in this section will tell you where you are wrong and why. You can be a stubborn b**ch all you like and you seem to enjoy that moniker. But it is like @scubadada said, if you want to paint yourself into a corner you will be there alone.

Hi Marie,

Here’s how I would think about it. What are the chances that my buddy will also use nitrox and the 3 extra minutes will allow me to get an unforgettable view of the wheelhouse that makes the whole trip worthwhile?

Personally I’d change “wheelhouse” to octopus, but I know critters aren’t your thing.

Or compare the %increase in bottom time to the %increase in the price of your trip for using nitrox.

Similarly on vacation I’ll spend a fair amount extra on taxi over transit if it gains me sightseeing time.

I haven't read all posts. I think use of nitrox depends on how much more it costs compared to increased bottom times. Also on dive profile, especially repetitive dives. Also on the dive op's schedule. Maybe the surface interval between 2 dives is sufficient enough that you'll do OK on Air on the 2nd dive and time-wise the boat crew is happy. The few times I've used nitrox I have noticed a fair bit of fill price difference from one shop to another.
Paying $14 a piece for 2 nitox fills may make sense if each dive's bottom time is increased by 10 minutes or so, considering the total cost of the charter. An extra 3 minutes each not so much.

johndiver999, I'm not being snarky, but some people aren't around a lot of divers locally and have no choice but to accept instabuddies on charters when travelling. Such as when snowbirding on the FL panhandle mid winter.

Let’s look at it in other terms then. Instead of “wasting” those 3 minutes of extra NDL, look at it as gaining conservativism and diving a safer profile for a very modest cost increase, while at the same time having a buffer in the event you overstay your time or depth.

Either of those scenarios makes it a better choice than air.

Banked nitrox for first fill.

Top off with air to make slight-trox for any remainder dives.

No O2 cleaning required.

I think she already knows that, and it is why she wants 28%, but is not accepting of how easy it is to make 28% from 32% by dilution with air and that she doesn't need an O2 clean cylinder to do it. No matter what DRIS says.

I disagree with your notion of her sentiment....perhaps DRIS or wherever she is getting her fill from does PP blending even for 32%, they would require her to have 02 clean tanks to do this even though it will be diluted down to 28% by adding 21% air to the mix.

I have read and re-read this thread to find where Marie13 is painting herself into a corner and frankly I cannot find it any of her posts. While she may lack the experience other posters have, and she may be self-admittedly obstinate, I can't seem to find where she took things south in this thread. She is trying to decide whether it is financially efficacious to have here tanks o2 cleaned for some upcoming wreck dives and/or to obtain information to validate her thoughts that it may not be. She has not be overtly argumentative on any point in this thread.

Some have chosen to post great information and some have chosen to focus on the character of the OP. Lets leave character analysis out of this equation, save it for private messages, and either post something meaningful that contributes to the overall discussion, seeks clarification, or just read and move on. There is no reason to bash Marie13 or even publicly point out her perceived flaws just because this is in an "advanced" forum.

As the Chairman says: "Be nice."

-Z

I disagree with your notion of her sentiment....perhaps DRIS or wherever she is getting her fill from does PP blending even for 32%, they would require her to have 02 clean tanks to do this even though it will be diluted down to 28% by adding 21% air to the mix.

I have read and re-read this thread to find where Marie13 is painting herself into a corner and frankly I cannot find it any of her posts. While she may lack the experience other posters have, and she may be self-admittedly obstinate, I can't seem to find where she took things south in this thread. She is trying to decide whether it is financially efficacious to have here tanks o2 cleaned for some upcoming wreck dives and/or to obtain information to validate her thoughts that it may not be. She has not be overtly argumentative on any point in this thread.

Some have chosen to post great information and some have chosen to focus on the character of the OP. Lets leave character analysis out of this equation, save it for private messages, and either post something meaningful that contributes to the overall discussion, seeks clarification, or just read and move on. There is no reason to bash Marie13 or even publicly point out her perceived flaws just because this is in an "advanced" forum.

As the Chairman says: "Be nice."

-Z
Her first post states that DRIS banks 32%

Back
Top Bottom