Is lowering the age of Scouts for SCUBA Diving a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is correct although I believe the exact wording is "Dive Professional" so it includes Dive Masters. 12-14 YO only need to be accompanied by a certified adult and may go to 60'. I have not seen what age they consider an adult. I would assume 18.

this may or may not help but, i was 12 in 1977 when i first certed under NASDS. at that time there was little to no safety equipment and tanks were as big as me. the logic being at the time I guess that I could do the swim stuff and I had a grasp of the "science" behind it. A horse collar and hard pack, ahh the good ole' days... But I digress...

I guess my point is, if it was allright then, what has changed? Other than better gear, a better understanding of the dynamics involved, and more people willing to mentor or train, if the youth is up to it, then why not?

Well, the biggest change is the liability issues. Don't cross your T's and dot your I's and something happens, the Tour Leader is in a world of hurt.:bash:

I would humbly like to ask the following, what would be wrong, given the criteria, of the scouts addopting a tender badge program? This would be implemented prior to a scout becoming a diver, and would be a scouts initial involvement ( participant ) in diving.

I believe it could be easily implemented, easily taught, and easily adhered to.

I mean if a scout accompanies the dive master and the other diver/scouts, helps with the gear and such, why not make that very involvement something to regognise ?

And, it has no age limit.

I thank all involved for the chanch to offer a suggestion.

In regards to tight rope walkers' idea about a "Scuba Tender" program. My understanding of your suggestion is that someone other than the divers buddy assist the scout with kitting up. The divers would still do a pre-dive BWRAF check with each other and would still do their own dive planning. But having a "tender" to help with the actual kitting up would allow both divers to concentrate on their own gear preparation and not be distracted by helping their buddy with their gear.

I can see merit to this approach as long as it does not interfer with the very needed communications between dive buddies. And the diver is not allowed to become dependent on his tender for proper gear placement/installation. In other words, the diver should be directing the tender on how the diver wants his equipment arranged and not going with what ever arrangement the tender comes up with .

tight rope walker. Is this what you are thinking?:hm:

Yes. I am not suggesting that the tender interfere between dive teams, that is not his place. What I am suggesting that, perhaps this could spark an interest in a child. He would help in carrying gear, help the divers suit up, and maybe, just maybe, his opinion would be asked once in a while. But that is it. Once my tender has rendered me ready to dive, at that point it is all me, or all me and my partner. I was just thinking this would give a child alittle regognition for his efforts. And in the event a child cannot dive, for one reason or another, he could still be involved in the diving process, providing that involvement does not interfere with the dive teams operations.

I sincerely believe that this would be an excellent starting point.

Now he starts his career as a dive tender, that carrys a badge,

What is better than to learn a hoby/career from the ground up.

I just think that those people on the groung level, go unnoticed nowadays.

So, it is for them that I speak.

Happy holidays.

And yes ofcourse, the diver would be responsible for gearing up at best. Or personally directing hie tender at least. Remember, this is in no way shape or form reflective of a commercial relationship. To me this is more of an apprentice/journeyman relationship.

Let me ask one more question.

Who do you think would be easier to teach scuba to, A child who just entered the program, or a graduate of a tender program?

Who has more exposure to the gear, begginner or tender?

Who has atleast a basic understanding of what's going on, begginer or tendor?

I appologise as I am getting carried away.

Once again thanks to all for this oppurtunity.

This "tender" idea is definitely growing on me. I think I will propose this at our next Dive Patrol meeting to see what the diving scouts think. I don't know that the BSA would be up for a formal "tender" program as it is very few Troops/Crews that dive on a regular basis. But, you are correct, it would be easier to teach diving to an experienced tender than someone with no contact with diving at all.

I think we will use the scouts who have expressed an interest in our OW Certification outing which we do the end of July or beginning of August. They could assist with our Fun Dive outing in June. See how it goes.

That is correct although I believe the exact wording is "Dive Professional" so it includes Dive Masters. 12-14 YO only need to be accompanied by a certified adult and may go to 60'. I have not seen what age they consider an adult. I would assume 18.

Max depth for Junior Open Water is 40 feet. Advanced Jr Open Water is 80'.

Divers are considered to be adult at 16 years of age.

The lowering of the BSA scuba age is in conjunction with recreational dive training standards which allow Diving Certifications at the age of 12. If the recreational dive community feels 12 is ok then there is no reason for BSA to do differently.

Note that the maturaity of the child is to be considered by the instructor to determine if the person is ready for diving.

Junior Open Water Divers must be accompanied by a Parent or Gaurdian or a Dive Professional not just any adult.

As an additional note those scouts interested in getting the Merit Badge do not need to do the entire Open Water course. The Scuba Diver course meets the requirements for the BSA Merit Badge.

..... But, you are correct, it would be easier to teach diving to an experienced tender than someone with no contact with diving at all....

What about using our simulator to give them an idea of what it looks like ?

We have lot of non divers - from all over the world - playing with the sim and familiarizing themselves with physics, physiology and real gear - including dive computers - before taking the real plunge. (some of them are Boy Scouts too :wink:)

Just an idea

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom