Is lowering the age of Scouts for SCUBA Diving a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE]Now, the bigger question to me is, given the state of this crazy world we live in....what's going to happen when little Johnny runs home to his folks, Mr. and Mrs. important, crying that he, unlike his buddys, can't be a diver.

I wouldn't want to be that divemaster/instuctor when that mercedes pulls up your driveway.[/QUOTE]

Being a Scoutmaster, I have had to turn scouts down who wanted to participate in certain High Adventure activities that they were not ready for. The parents in all of these instances have been very understanding and almost all have agreed with the assessments regarding their sons.

I would like to see the scouts incorporate a tendors badge. Perhaps if a child is interested in diving, but for one reason or another he can't, he could always be a dive tendor. Atleast in this way, he could still be involved in the diving process. He could accompany the divers to a meet and help them with thier gear. Atleast he could still belong. This could also be a childs first exposure to diving.

I am not going to tell you the importance of a tender in diving, as when I need one, he has my life in his hands. I am sure it could be toned down for a childs perspective.

Maybe after earning his tender badge, and if he meets the requirements, he can go on to being a diver. But if not, he can still remain a tender.

I hope you do not mind me making a suggestion.

tight rope walker
I absolutely don't mind your input! I would be the last person to suggest that I have all of the answers! We do offer the non diver scouts the option of going with us on our outings to assist with the lugging of gear and equipping the divers. They also have the option of snorkeling while we dive. Because they see this as "boring" or as something less than what the divers are doing we don't get any takers on our offers.

We do have a LDS that offers a group Introduction to SCUBA experience for a very affordable price. It has always been very well attended. The scouts have a blast with it whether certified or not.

Thank you for your reply. I quess what I am suggesting is the badge process. It would be worn like a badge of honor. This would be the starting point for a young person. The apprentice who accompanies the journeyman on these adventures would atleast get some recognition. I'm probaly saying this the wrong way, and it's more than likely I am in the wrong forum.

But the young candidate would start his career as a diving tendor, and after a simple test, would be issued a tendor badge, in recognition of his achievement.

Believe me, I carried alot of gear for my dad and his partner, and all I got was," What's taking you so long???!!!". HA HA HA!

It has been reported on this web site that the BSA is going to lower the age that Boy Scouts <snip>

this may or may not help but, i was 12 in 1977 when i first certed under NASDS. at that time there was little to no safety equipment and tanks were as big as me. the logic being at the time I guess that I could do the swim stuff and I had a grasp of the "science" behind it. A horse collar and hard pack, ahh the good ole' days... But I digress...

I guess my point is, if it was allright then, what has changed? Other than better gear, a better understanding of the dynamics involved, and more people willing to mentor or train, if the youth is up to it, then why not?

this may or may not help but, i was 12 in 1977 when i first certed under NASDS. at that time there was little to no safety equipment and tanks were as big as me. the logic being at the time I guess that I could do the swim stuff and I had a grasp of the "science" behind it. A horse collar and hard pack, ahh the good ole' days... But I digress...

I guess my point is, if it was allright then, what has changed? Other than better gear, a better understanding of the dynamics involved, and more people willing to mentor or train, if the youth is up to it, then why not?

I agree whole heartedly. What I am proposing is something prior to actually diving. And what happens say, for one reason or another, the child cannot dive. One of the biggest heart breaks in my life was finding out, that due to an ear problem, my son could not dive. Much to the dismay of his mother, I'm working on my grandson now. He's only five, and the time I have spent with him I know this would encourage him towards diving.:)

I agree whole heartedly. What I am proposing is something prior to actually diving. And what happens say, for one reason or another, the child cannot dive. One of the biggest heart breaks in my life was finding out, that due to an ear problem, my son could not dive. Much to the dismay of his mother, I'm working on my grandson now. He's only five, and the time I have spent with him I know this would encourage him towards diving.:)

Sorry to hear about the ear. depending on the problem, it may not be a dealbreaker. as to the scout badge, there are the padi seals, maybe some sort of badge where the child demonstrates a familiarity with the gear and has basic snorkeling skills. but it would also be kinda tough on the little guys being around all the gear and such and not being able to use it. would frustrate the heck out of me.

Once again, I agree, I quess at that point you would have to somehow focus on how very important being a tender is. I know in my case, under certain circumstances, my life is in my tenders hands. I know kids like badges ( hell seems like alot of adults nowadays like them too ), and maybe it would keep thier interest. One thing is for certain, it wouldn't hurt.

Also, thanks for clarifying about the cement shoes. I belong to a very large labor organization, and they were always asking me about my foot size. Now I find out, that, they were just trying to help. HA HA HA!

Happy holidays

Some of the posts to this thread seem to think my objection to eliminating an age limit for scout participation in scuba diving was due to the idea that I didn't think they could do it. I know that there are many young people who do dive at an early age and are very successful at it. I have two concerns. 1) Having enough time to evaluate a youth through other activities to see where they are as far as their capabilities. 2) Due to the type of program we run the scouts have to be pretty self sufficient. We do not have the luxury, at least at this time, of one on one adult supervision for each scout. So, they need to be old enough and capable enough to dive with another scout. In addition, our initial open water certification outing is a week long camping experience with dive training. I want boys who will not have home sickness issues and can be a functioning member of the patrol. This takes experience as a scout with the other activities we do.

There is also the "problem" that most of the scouts currently in our dive program do not have a parent who dives. So for them to go diving at all means they are diving with us. And to dive with us means for the most part having a youth buddy. The PADI and GSS guidelines actually make it very difficult for a younger diver to participate in a scout program so some of my concern is really over blown.

Young people, as young as 10, do dive and do so very successfully. But can they dive with out their parent(s)? As a buddy to another 10-11 year old? How about 13-14 year old? I don't know. Depends on the youth. I would just like the time to be able evaluate that youth on camp outs and other outings to see where they are developmentally.

Young people, as young as 10, do dive and do so very successfully. But can they dive with out their parent(s)?
( No) 10 YO neeeds a qualified dive instuctor or parent to dive with PADI Jr. diver C card

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom