Is light spectrum a factor for brown (yellow) water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need a high-intensity light for diving in the Cooper River. This is a very tannic, near-zero visibility dive. I know that there are masks with tinted windows which supposedly are advantagous in this kind of environment. It got me wondering if lights with a particular spectrum bias would also be advantageous. Or is as close to white as possible always the best choice? Thanks in advance for any thoughts?

Dave

Hi,

you will have the best penetration with a bluish light. The wavelength of blue rays is longer than the wavelength of any other visible light. The longer the wavelength is, the more difficult is it to stop the light. That is the reason why deep water is blue and not red :) . You should already have learned that when you did your diving course.
In your case a HID light with a high colour temperature (at least 6000K) would be a good choice.

Greetings, Michael

DLW,
The biggest problem with diving water like that of which you speak is not the color, it's the particulate matter suspended in the water. Sometimes you can get into a "white out" situation with a very bright light because of all the reflection from the muck in the water. Sometimes it just makes it worse.

the K

Skip the tinted windows on your face. They are an optical illusion to increase contrast. The light volume you lose will be more of an issue. Go clear.

micbu:
Hi,

you will have the best penetration with a bluish light. The wavelength of blue rays is longer than the wavelength of any other visible light. The longer the wavelength is, the more difficult is it to stop the light. That is the reason why deep water is blue and not red :) . You should already have learned that when you did your diving course.
In your case a HID light with a high colour temperature (at least 6000K) would be a good choice.

Greetings, Michael
I think you may have gotten this backwards. Red light has a longer wavelength than blue light.

Hi,

yes, of course :banghead: :banghead: , sorry for the mistake. The longer the wavelength is the easier is it to stop the light.

Greetings, Michael

I dove the Cooper River in the summer. The water isn't brown or yellow, it's black!!! :wink:
I had my 10W HID cannister light and still wasn't able to see further than 3ft.
Our boar captain was renting out 10W OMS HID lights. I can strongly recommend him from a safety point of view as well as the quality of spots we were dropped on. :wink:
http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html

Back
Top Bottom