Is Key Largo a bad idea for winter diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been to the keys a few times and every time I was there during summers, we had flat seas and perfect vis. In winters, I was met with rough seas, murky vis and relatively less marine life. Is this a regular pattern in Keys or was it co-incidental just in my case? I am planning another week long trip to the Keys in January but my log book tells me I have never had a good dive there in January. Can anyone comment?

Thanks.

All of Florida can have unpredictable marine conditions in the winter. I've had some great dives during the winter in the Keys, WPB, Jupiter, etc. with visibility that is outstanding, wave height is not too bad and water temps tolerable. But have had plenty of dives washed out or conducted when waves were 6 feet or more with short intervals making for barf inducing rides to the dive sites or during the surface intervals. Winter is more of a crap shoot than summer in my experience but still can be really enjoyable if Poseidon cooperates.

We had a great dive there 2 years ago the beginning of Jan. 2' chop on the surface with 50' vis on the SG. We dive SF every holiday season and as has been said, its a crap shoot. Some years are better than others.

Have had a number of enjoyable dives. Some depends on the dive sites. The reefs are generally calmer but more prone to viz reduction.

Conditions can vary a lot, but then you give me a coral reef, 70 degree water, and 30 ft of viz and I am a happy man. Sure beats the local quarry. Better is better but that would still be an enjoyable dive.

I have never been "blown out during the Christmas week I have been spending in KL for several years. My plan for this year is to head up to dive the Blue Heron Bridge if we do end up with weather.

I have never been "blown out during the Christmas week I have been spending in KL for several years. My plan for this year is to head up to dive the Blue Heron Bridge if we do end up with weather.

I am also leaning more towards Blue Heron instead of the Keys because if you drive to Florida all the way from NJ or VA (in my case) then a crapshoot is really not what you are looking for.

Do you guys also get blown out during summer? Or is that very rare?

Gets rough mostly from the approaching fronts as the winds shift to the SE and typically blow 20-25 knots. Six ft plus on the seas. Once the front come thru and the wind shifts to the North, it gets better as the land mass tends to tame the effect of the Northerly winds.

Make no mistake, Winter conditions in KL can be unpredictable and there are far more lost days than the Spring and Summer.

Then again, there are days when you would swear it was May.

BHB and LBTS are always easy, long and good dives. Plus their free! No boat times and charter fees to contend with. Watch the tides and weather permitting you have great dives most of the time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom