Is it worth to change my 32lb OMS wing for a 27lb wing for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I want to make my rig light for an 8 month trip to Southeast Asia. I already ask for fins at the fin forum but I need to make a decision about my wing system.
I own a OMS 32lb wing with steel back plate and I plan to get an aluminium backplate or even a mini plate.
The thing is that even I am 1.85 tall 85kg I find my 32lb OMS wing is more than enough, so I wonder if it would make sense to sell it and get a 27lb one.

Will the size/weight benefit be good enough to to justify the extra expense? Other wing you may recommend of similar cost and easy to get in Spain/Europe?

Regards
Javier

If you're comfortable with it, stick with it. You're not going to save much if any weight going to a smaller bladder. If you really want to save weight, try the 44lb Zeagle Express Tech. It's a hybrid between a BC and a BP&Wing. Super light to travel with, with all the benefits of a BP&Wing. I travel extensively, and it's my go-to rig.

I have a 27# with steel back plate and metal STA (single tank adapter) which I use at home (cold water diving). The weight of the STA made me think I need a new wing with a built in stabilizer bars when traveling. So I bought a 32# wing with a built in stabilizer bars and an aluminum back plate. Got to the point I was diving more when I traveled then at home. So my 32# wing is my go-to rig now. It works great for warm water diving.

If your 32# wing has a built in stabilizer bars then I'd say it is fine for traveling with. Maybe looking into a DSS Kydex back plate. I don't know if it weighs less than a mini back plate.

Try a single layer travel wing that does not have separate outer shell and inner bladder. Should save you some weight.

@Hoag Problem buying from USA is customs, applied both to the item and shipping. Easy add 60€ plus delays. Seems like a good deal though
@guruboy Did not think of that...like what? Any durability concerns?

If you decide that you do want to go to a smaller wing for traveling, Piranha Manufacturing has an incredible deal on Hog 23 pound wings for $149.95US (about 131 Euros) plus shipping.

That is a great price. If I didn't have 4 wings already I would definitely go for this. :)

@guruboy Did not think of that...like what? Any durability concerns?

If you are going to be traveling with the gear, I'd be worried about getting a leak. If you have an inner bladder you can always patch it. Not sure how easy to patch a single layer travel wing.

Try a single layer travel wing that does not have separate outer shell and inner bladder. Should save you some weight.

Who still makes these ? I thought most manufacturers changed away from this style ?

Difference between 32 lb and 27 lb wing is too small to make a change. If 17 lb meets your lift requirements, then it might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I have just disassembled the wing and it weights 1.1kg/2.4lbs, the whole system with mini aluminium backplate, (1lb) weight pockets, straps D rings, etc.. will be around2.75kg/6lbs. So even changing the blade I think it will no be possible to loose much weight, maybe just 1lb
Even the Xdeep ghost weights 2.3kg/5lbs so I think I will just keep the OMS 32....

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
Keep the wing and replace the SS plate with Al one. All dive operators in SE Asia will provide weight belt wiht no extra cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom