Is it worth hauling a steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was diving at Catalina a few weeks ago. I saw a guy hauling a steel tank back and forth from the Long Beach Express. Is it worth the hassle to haul a steel tank instead of renting an aluminum tank at any similar location

I've got 5 tanks, my personal favorite is my Steel 100... it's just nice, size wise, it has a little more capacity, it is shorter than an AL80, etc... I'd happily trade away my AL80 Chrome Moly 95, and AL66's for more Steel 100's.

That being said... If I was traveling other than with my own car, I would rent whatever was available rather than travel with all that bulk and weight. There may be more to the story, than what you saw.

i prefer to dive my steel tanks ...

the hassle to rent locally is too much. if i can drive to the destination, i take my steel tanks.

if i have to fly, no tanks

I have 3 tanks and I prefer to dive my steel tanks ...:lotsalove:

I am a smaller woman so I like the size/length and I find it normaly is a hassle to rent locally. However, if I can drive to the destination, I take my steel tanks.:cool2:

If i have to fly, no tanks - But will try to arange with destination LDS - to see if I can rent steel 80's:questionmark:

Was diving at Catalina a few weeks ago. I saw a guy hauling a steel tank back and forth from the Long Beach Express. Is it worth the hassle to haul a steel tank instead of renting an aluminum tank at any similar location

Yes, for me. I prefer steel tanks so if at all possible I will use them. Locally they rent out steel tanks but I notice the further north I go the more likely it is for me to only be able to rent AL tanks.

My own tanks are steel.

If accustomed to the properties of a particular steel there is value in bringing it along.

The real motivation may have been capacity. Dive the boat's AL80 with a random fill or bring a steel 100+ CF with a known fill. For a power breather it may be what makes the dive worthwhile.

The diver may also had a DIN regulator and did not want to run an adapter.

Pete

I recently traded my two AL80s for a steel 130. I love the switch. I have to say though that the only reason I love it so much is because I "breathe like a kitten". My buddies all have steel 100s and I can double dive my 130 while they go through 2 100s.
It's great not having to switch tanks between dives, plus I only have 1 hydro and vis to pay for.

I haven't found the weight to be a big deal. I dropped 6lbs from my belt and the tank doesn't feel much heavier than my 80s did.

hell yes!

If the hauling isn't horrendous, the bigger steel tanks are certainly worth bringing, IMO. My HP120's aren't much more work considering all the other crap I bring.... To have more time in the water is very important to me. :D

Dave C

I always hauled my own tanks to Catalina. It meant not having to worry about renting tanks on the island and not needing to return them after a night dive.

In fact, I think I always brought my own cylinder when diving in Southern California. Of course I also did my own visual inspections and fills, so I always knew how much air I had and what condition the cylinder was in.

When I got a PST 100 (3442) I never even considered renting because I had my weight where I wanted it for that cylinder, plus I could usually do more than one dive without getting a fill. At least while running OW courses.

Back
Top Bottom