Is it worth hauling a steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am usually dive with my daughter and her SAC rate almost twice better then mine :depressed:. So, when we traveled to Catalina I brought my HP120 and she dived with rented AL80. It was completely worthwhile and allow us to match bottom time.

hell yes!

I concur. I'm writing this on my phone as we drive through Mississippi on our way back to Chicago from Freeport, TX. Part of the reason I chose to drive was to haul a HP100 and HP120. We dove some fantastic sites and payed good money for the trip, and the larger tanks just made it that much better.

I am usually dive with my daughter and her SAC rate almost twice better then mine :depressed:

don't worry about it. she's female and probably a lot smaller than you

women just have better SACs, on average, than men

(did i just say ... ?)

It is for me. And I haul a 120 from Northern California.

I have better buoyancy with steel and more than 50% more air than an AL80.

Posted via Mobile Device

Was diving at Catalina a few weeks ago. I saw a guy hauling a steel tank back and forth from the Long Beach Express. Is it worth the hassle to haul a steel tank instead of renting an aluminum tank at any similar location

If you were to take a HP100 and set it next to an AL80, you'd noticed they were about the same size.

both are 7.25" in diameter. They are only a couple inches difference in height.

weight is only a couple pounds difference also. so they are similar in size if you need to carry one verses the other.

But as for renting one? well with taking your steel tank you can:
* Take the tank you want to dive, size, etc.
* reduce the weight off your weight belt 4 to 6 pounds
* get the valve (DIN) that you want.
* get 20% or more gas/volume (based on HP100 vs. AL80). more for larger tanks.

If it was me, I'd prob take my tanks over. But heck, I haul my steel tanks out of state with me when I dive also. (even if that's to south Florida, unless I'm flying).

Maybe you were watching me schlep my tank. LOL I always take my own tank over there. It's nice to know the exact weight I'm going to be diving with and comfy knowing my equipment. There's a few options on HOW to haul it making it easier or harder. Besides, with the luggage service right at the dock for $8, it's not that bad.

Was diving at Catalina a few weeks ago. I saw a guy hauling a steel tank back and forth from the Long Beach Express. Is it worth the hassle to haul a steel tank instead of renting an aluminum tank at any similar location

Yeap, especially if you use lead to make you sink. Worthington HP100 would weight 4lb less than an Al80 if it has the same amount of air (considering the lead added to AL) and 2lb less when it's loaded to full 100cuf.

weight is only a couple pounds difference also. so they are similar in size if you need to carry one verses the other.

depending on the height of the person steel can be more convenient to carry.

Both my lovely bride and I haul our steel tanks to Catalina. Yes, it is worth the effort.
DSC00003_Small_.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom