Question Is it normal that I don't need to equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got certified about five years ago, and initially, I was equalizing like most everyone - pinch my nose and blow into it. However, at some point, during a liveaboard in the Philippines, I got congested after a few days of diving and found myself completely unable to equalize. Fortunately we were near Dumaguete and there were a couple other divers on board with ear problems, so we took a ride to a local hospital where a doctor saw me and prescribed some medicine - don't remember what it was. After another day, I was able to equalize again, albeit with significant difficulty - I was blowing into my nose with every little depth change, both up and down, and I could hear squeaking inside my head as air was getting forced from one cavity to another through barely-there openings. Fortunately, after a week or so, this cleared up completely, and ever since then, I found myself not needing to equalize at all anymore. I can drop like a rock from surface to thirty meters, or seesaw between twenty-five and five meters as I'm chasing down a photo subject, and all I feel is a tiny hint of pressure in my ears that immediately releases by itself with a barely audible puff. Am I just fortunate, or could this be an early sign of some other problem?

Always been able to equalize passively, except for during spring when I am congested beyond belief due to pollen allergies.
Large dose of cortisone the day before a dive and that problem will be gone, not a huge fan of doing it that way but god damn it works better than anything else available.

I'm also lucky to have auto-equalization :). The only times I have had to actively equalize was with significant congestion. I have taken pseudoephedrine a few times in more than 2,100 dives

You are equalizing, just not the way that you use to do.
Yes, you're doing it internally without realizing it. Like what I do.

I too use to equalize by pinching my nose and (gently) blowing but then realized I didn't need to, just simply swallow or move my jaw just a bit. It is very similar to when I am riding my motorcycle at speed in the mountains, I have no issues whereas my wife, she struggles to equalize.

Yawn (not underwater...) and hear the crackling sound. That, I believe is you equalizing. Now hold that position. It will muffle your hearing. This I believe is how equalizing internally happens without any other motions.

Unless I'm recovering from congestion/cold/etc. I very rarely need to actively equalize/think about needing to. Repetitive dives in relatively shallow water (think warm water vacation) my ears/sinuses will start to give me grief. Maybe its my body saying its time for a shower, food + drink, and a hammock:wink:

Wrong thread post. My apologies to all.

Fortunate, but don't count on it. If I dive a lot my ears seem to equalize themselves, if I can't dive for a month or two, I have more of an issue equalizing until I get re-habituated. Equalizing is acquired trick.

My ears pop at a "slight puff" or when I wiggle my jaw, always have, but there was this one dive in a local lake where I had a painful squeeze in the top couple of feet. Completely out of the blue, never happened before. And I was wearing a hood, too.

So @Barmaglot don't get complacent.

brane fart, wrong reference, nothing to see here

I'm also lucky to have auto-equalization :). The only times I have had to actively equalize was with significant congestion. I have taken pseudoephedrine a few times in more than 2,100 dives

for the last 20 years I have lived up in the mountains. On occasions I drive up to around 8000 to 10000 feet altitude and back down to lower altitudes. I too auto equalize and even when I am driving to the city at sea level I do notice that I equalize quite a bit. I do believe it helps me for diving as I never need to worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom