Is it good that scuba diving is not popular!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it the problem is in getting enough dive op and training agencies to see that a unified marketing approach is more to their benefit than competing and trying to make their "competitors" look bad. Makes the whole industry look bad and they lose more customers who could have been than they every would to each other!

The thought has crossed my mind... once or twice.

:d

The problem is the "create a marketing campaign" part is what I do for a living. I say problem because that means getting someone to agree for the need... and PAY for the creation of the campaign (research, development, testing, etc) and the industry doesn't like to pay for marketing strategy. They seem to prefer to assume they already know what to do - or simply guess - and hope for the best.

That approach is very [-]cost-effective[/-] cheap.

I understand the challenge. Its definitely not an easy task. Perhaps something will come up to give you the green light to start and other doors may open.
Sometimes all the pieces may not be there to start but with enough faith and effort the rest starts to fall into place. You probably just need to capture the attention of one important player in the industry or several to just get some momentum. This would not only re-enforce the convincing aspect of your model to the industry, but will empower you to commit to a much larger scale. This could allow you to build momentum and step by step refine your presentation, making it more impacting, and convincing every time. I am sure you will run across some in the industry who a ready to do something for change but somebody needs to ask the question and lead them towards it. They really don't know what can be done, and I am sure they are tired of the continuing flat line growth.

Just because a song is no longer on the top 40 chart doesn't mean it's no longer a good song, it just means that there are newer songs that people want to hear more than old songs.
If nobody plays an old song people soon forget about it.
Diving has fallen out of view to other sports that have become more popular.
Activity promotion doesn't just run itself, it needs to be constantly placed in front of the consumer.
Nobody did that with diving, they just watched it run itself out and go down.
So the question is, how do we reinvent diving and bring it back into public view?
What can the average person do to help in anyway?
I don't mean to be skeptical, but when I hear the only way is a multi million dollar promotion and advertising campaign by the pro's
that would be great, but who's going to plan it, run it, pay for it. If it's a group effort throughout the industry then how do you heard these cats all onto the same page? How many people would have to be involved in such a campaign world wide. And then finally, what's the payoff, what would be in it for investors?
These are real questions.
There are a staggering number of components to this problem, way more than one person can handle IMO.

Just because a song is no longer on the top 40 chart doesn't mean it's no longer a good song, it just means that there are newer songs that people want to hear more than old songs.
If nobody plays an old song people soon forget about it.
Diving has fallen out of view to other sports that have become more popular.
Activity promotion doesn't just run itself, it needs to be constantly placed in front of the consumer.
Nobody did that with diving, they just watched it run itself out and go down.
So the question is, how do we reinvent diving and bring it back into public view?
What can the average person do to help in anyway?
I don't mean to be skeptical, but when I hear the only way is a multi million dollar promotion and advertising campaign by the pro's
that would be great, but who's going to plan it, run it, pay for it. If it's a group effort throughout the industry then how do you heard these cats all onto the same page? How many people would have to be involved in such a campaign world wide. And then finally, what's the payoff, what would be in it for investors?
These are real questions.
There are a staggering number of components to this problem, way more than one person can handle IMO.

You are probably right that the endeavor is extremely large for one person to tackle but it does start with one person. Some one has to take the initiative. It is only after that first step, that one can one expect to have more support. All the pieces that make this feasible can come into play as the process begins. Its a challenge that can be done but only if someone can believe it is possible. Who ever does decide to have a go at this has to see through all those difficulties. I was only trying to spark something that could be possibly achieved. If some one needs help lets hear it. There are plenty of eyes, ears and sharp minds, on this forum. We can all benefit from a well crafted marketing campaign. We can all do something to help. The messenger/leader is the key.

Here's my quick thoughts in the subject.

Clearly to many people, diving is extremely dangerous and were all going to die.

This is what half of my family think. It doesn't matter what I explain to them, sometimes it actually makes it worse (explaining redundancy in some cases). But they all love seeing photos and videos of my excursions

The part that I'm realizing is that we're going out of the atmosphere that we know for the entirety of our lives after we're born. In their mind, we might as well be floating in space. If something goes wrong on land, we're still able to breath, even if we loose consciousness, break a bone, have most medical emergencies.

I could go hiking, spelunking, downhill mountain biking and they wouldn't worry nearly as much as when I go diving.

Even driving my car to work is more dangerous and life threatening!

I think one of the main fears is being out of the breathing atmosphere. If we find a way to convey that it is a safer activity than driving to work, and it's not big, dark, cold and scary as the Bearing Sea is on TV. That you don't have to go deep, in rough weather, and that most sharks and other 'scary' animals are more likely to be scared off by you, then maybe we can then work on conveying the cool and fun factor.

Seeing pretty reef fish, coral, shrimps, octopus, squids, snails, nudibranchs, lobsters, etc. neat wrecks (natural or artificial). The team (buddy) atmosphere. The same hangouts as other sports like skiing. Hanging out after a day of diving over food and beverage, the camaraderie during setup, tear down, SI's.

Sure there are miserable days of diving where the weather sucks, the heater doesn't work on the boat, cold food, leaky dry suits, bad vis, etc. But that's rarely the majority.

BRad

Aaaaarrrgghhhhh. You guys are killing me.

The market EXISTS. We don't have to build it, we simply need to address and fulfill it.

That's really what I'm saying... the market exists, but the industry would benefit from better priming it. Currently, we're chasing as many folks away as we're attracting.

One comment I wanted to make regarding the comparison between diving and skiing. These are entirely different sports, you can't compare the two.
One is dry land, speed, exhileration, maneuvering, airborne, stylish clothing, mountains, etc.
The other is wet ocean, underwater, the slower the better, more gear intensive, specialized training, boats (and possible sea sickness), etc.
I think there are more people willing to go up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing/snowboarding, hanging out in a ski lodge by the fire sipping on a hot drink with friends....that is if anybody is considering hobby shopping.
Where I live and across the US there are many more places to ski than to dive, or at least dive in conditions that most people consider pleasurable.
In CA I can think of at least 12 world class ski resorts within easy driving range from anywhere in the state.
I can't say that for the diving. CA waters are cold, the only place remotely warmer is Socal around LA and at best it gets in the very low 70's, and that's not considered warm. Most of the state sits in the 50's. So for warm water diving for exception of FL, you have to get on a plane and fly somewhere to get warm water. Most people like warm water and few of the certified divers in CA actually dive here.
With skiing and just going to the snow, look at how many regions there are country wide. But of course skiing is seasonal, diving around the world is not....but getting there.

Now on another note, I'm thinking about where I have seen dive shops placed geographically in towns and cities as opposed to where I have seen other sport retailers placed within cities.
It seems to me I always see dive shops placed somewhere on the edge of town or somewhere in an out-of-the-way location probably for cheaper rent. People need to know where they are and have to have a specific reason to go there, they don't just pass by and decide to go in.
Other sports, I see them placed in prominent locations like shopping malls and on main thoroughfares....ski shops, bicycle shops, sporting goods stores, gun shops, etc.
My LDS sits on the opposite side of the freeway from a big shopping mall on a small frontage road by some other run down and forgotten businesses.
That got me thinking, if someone was to set up a shop inside that mall and not only have scuba, but also board sports, surf boards, clothing and apparel, swimwear/bikinis, beach and wet footwear, sunglasses, etc. Basically everything water sports related. The mall I mentioned has nothing like this. That mall is always swamped with people especially during Xmas. People will come in to brouse. At that point you have them in the store. This is where TRAINED proffesional sales people come into play. I can't emphasize enough how underestimated and underappreciated good sales people are. That's the key to making people who walk in feel comfortable and capturing their interest to want to know more about what you have to offer them. A good sales person is worth their weight in gold.
Then, not only have a full scuba shop/instruction/fills but also freediving/snorkelling gear and instruction since that is a big draw in our area. Offer trips and day boat charters off the boats in Monterey.
The one thing I've seen in almost every dive shop I've walked into is a sales person standing around being indifferent. They almost have to be talked to before they'll say anything. Dive shops aren't grocery stores where you go in to just get what you need and walk out.
It also helps if the sales people actually dive and truelly are excited about the sport and show their enthusiasm...it should be infectious.
So, perhaps a good first step in promoting scuba and diving in general is thinking about where to place a shop? and the attitude in which you present your sport to a person walking in for the first time.
I remember when I first got into road bicycling, I went into a shop that was great. I was greeted by a friendly happy person that asked me questions and got me into a conversation about everything cool about road biking without making me feel like I was getting the hard sell. I didn't buy right then, but I left excited about getting into biking. The following week I returned and spent well over $2500 on getting set up...and felt great about it. That was some of the best money I ever spent.
What got me in there? the store was on a major blvd in town and had all sorts of bikes hanging out front.
Let's say a scuba shop was at that same or similar location and had a manequin (sp) out front fully dressed in scuba gear or hanging off the eave, or some other display to get my attention I may have just gone in there too to check it out.
The thing with scuba is it's an invisible sport...you can't see the people doing it unless your down there with them.
So I think instead it needs to be way more visible as promotion topside to remind people it still exists.
I'm in the sign and art business. My job is to make people aware of places via visual communication. Your sign(s) and exterior display are a direct reflection of the quality of your business.
I've also designed interiors of restaurants and have done theme work. People are so visual, and the key is you have to touch an emotion somehow. On a cold rainy day if I see a shop with tropical and fun themes I'm going to want to go in there just to absorb some of that happiness.

Here's my quick thoughts in the subject.

Clearly to many people, diving is extremely dangerous and were all going to die.

This is what half of my family think. It doesn't matter what I explain to them, sometimes it actually makes it worse (explaining redundancy in some cases). But they all love seeing photos and videos of my excursions

The part that I'm realizing is that we're going out of the atmosphere that we know for the entirety of our lives after we're born. In their mind, we might as well be floating in space. If something goes wrong on land, we're still able to breath, even if we loose consciousness, break a bone, have most medical emergencies.

I could go hiking, spelunking, downhill mountain biking and they wouldn't worry nearly as much as when I go diving.

I think one of the main fears is being out of the breathing atmosphere. If we find a way to convey that it is a safer activity than driving to work, and it's not big, dark, cold and scary as the Bearing Sea is on TV. That you don't have to go deep, in rough weather, and that most sharks and other 'scary' animals are more likely to be scared off by you, then maybe we can then work on conveying the cool and fun factor.

Seeing pretty reef fish, coral, shrimps, octopus, squids, snails, nudibranchs, lobsters, etc. neat wrecks (natural or artificial). The team (buddy) atmosphere. The same hangouts as other sports like skiing. Hanging out after a day of diving over food and beverage, the camaraderie during setup, tear down, SI's.

Sure there are miserable days of diving where the weather sucks, the heater doesn't work on the boat, cold food, leaky dry suits, bad vis, etc. But that's rarely the majority.

BRad

I will agree on the disconnect most people have toward diving, or perhaps a better word would be stigma towards diving. I receive the same reaction from my family and friends especially, at the beginning. This is a good thing because us actually gives a clear area to resolve. That is to communicate a message that can replace this stigma. I think we are all pretty much in agreement on that premise.

The real gem is :

To draft a very clever, short appealing message. Something that can attract or lure the curious folks to desire to find out more. Obviously you need to create an open door. We have to put ourselves in their shoes if we can even attempt to communicate this kind of message.

This should be followed up by a new type of introduction to the activity of scuba diving. We should scrap the old way doing this part. The description of our activity should be emphasizing a few things. If some one can leave a lasting impression, whether it be through a pictures or a message, it can lead to a path of further interest. I am not in the business of marketing or promotion but I know that if you can't produce a good message that can turn heads, you started off on the wrong foot. I know there are many factor and this is just one of them but every piece counts.

Don't we have to start some where?

Action even in the form of a message is still action. If is communicated in some way it can produce a reaction thus resulting in perhaps some more interest.

More minds need to think about presenting a form of action that can be taken. Creating an idea is step one, taking a bold step to inact will be step two.

Any thoughts.

Reactions: RJP

I tell my non-diving wife all the time "Scuba diving is like driving a car. It's very easy to die... and it's just as easy to NOT."

Back
Top Bottom