Is It Easy to Replace a Tach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are shops that can repair the unit. Might have to mail to the mainland though. At least your hour meter would match. Also the unit would be remain a perfect match, although you might be able to get the exact same tach still. Cost? Not sure what way is better to go. Buying a new one could be much easier.

Now if it were me, I would tear it down and see if could repair it myself, but I am stupid like that...Of course the tests above need to be confirmed first that it is in fact defective and not a bad connection.

On the back it will have a brand name and model number. Order one. If it's something else you can send it back, if not I'll replace it. Usual fee for my services will be expected. Ya thats right! The good stuff, Mojitos!

as long as I don't have to drive you to havanna for those Mojitos...

What usually goes wrong with these tachs?

Hey, I saw my boat mechanic on the cover of the local paper today holding up boat fuel with ethanol/ water in it. "Ethanol Fouls Island boats..."

Wildcard:
PS, after looking at your pics, it looks like the shrink tube connectors have not been shrunk? Remined me to look at that too....
Spotted this thread looking for kayak info, so since I know more than I want to admit about electronics, my $0.02....................

Those look like garden variety crimp lugs, definitely not heat shrink sleeves. Crappy crimping is very common, I'd check for one of them being loose and getting intermittent connection to the tach.

Other than that, the semi-mechanical nature of the tach gives it a somewhat finite lifetime: the needle movement can crap out, like an old mechanical watch. Taking it apart "might" allow some silicone lube in the right place to free the needle up. Better to swap it out, as it would probably die again before long.

I'd check those crimped lugs first. And a multimeter check of the wires while the engine was running would tell if power and RPM signal were good.

Hope that helps.................

I'd check for one of them being loose and getting intermittent connection to the tach.

yes, it does, thanks a lot.

If WC needs a multimeter when he shows up, I know someone that has two of them...............

I have mine, thanks. Did you order one yet? This may be a high speed turn around.

I don't know how to e-bay...you do it and I'll pay you back, or call me for my card # ?

e-bay scares me.

besides, I bought that lense...you owe me a favor. Do it, I'll pay.

what if its not the right one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom