Is it a Bauer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishpie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Very recently I picked up this:

It's a small Brownies yacht compressor with a 2 HP 115v electric motor.
I expect it's a Bauer but I an not sure.
I got it from someone who had been using it for paint ball. He had no idea that the black tube was a filter stack but did know enough to drain water "every once in a while".
I did run it for a few seconds before I bought it but shut it down after a few seconds when a nasty oil/water emulsion came out of the fill whip.
When I got it home I drained the oil....very nasty, removed the LF filter....horrible, I'm surprised it didn't fall apart when I pulled it out.

I'm just about to go out and get some new comp oil....I guess I'll fill and drain a few times to flush out all the cruddy old oil, unless there's a better way?

It did come with a fill whip, inlet hose (and filter), Leeson 3450rpm 2hp 115v motor and fan shroud....though no shroud for the belt side.

Here's some more pics:
SB_compressor_002.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

....well looks like I lucked out.
Just refilled with oil and run it up to 3200 psi before the relief valve kicked in.
There is a worrying chirp every so often.
Still allot of oily emulsion in the pipes.
I'll change the oil again.
I'll pick up a new LF filter from Compressed Air on Old Griffin Rd on Monday then I will be able to do a timed run on a tank and see what cf it's pumping.
If anybody has an insight to the make of pump I'd be grateful......I'm only assuming it's a Bauer because that seems to be what Brownies use.

I've now changed the oil 3 times and am not getting any more nastiness coming out in the drained oil.
Here's a pic of it working:
sb2_002.jpg

The chirping noise is the belt.....thank goodness.
I am getting an oil leak here:
sb2_001.jpg

Oil is leaking from the (bronze colored) valve above the stainless coupling.
It only seems to leak after the compressor stops....which makes me think it might a normal pressure relief operation to depressurize the cylinders although the similar valve on the 2nd cylinder isn't leaking.

Here's a couple more pics:

sb2_003.jpg

sb2_004.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, looks like you found a good deal on a compressor. I don't know who made the compressor block but I am pretty certain that it not a Bauer, perhaps someone out there that has seen model befor could educate us. The valve that I think you are talking about is a safety valve that will prevent high presure air from the next higher stage from bleading back and over pressurizing that stage. When this valve leaks it usually meens that the next high stage valves need servicing or replacing. It can be difficult to hear or feel the air coming out of the valve while it is running so I put a ballon over it and secure it with an elastic band and watch to see it inflates. It may only be a bad safety valve as well.
ZDD
ZDD

Thanks Zo.
Here's a better picture of the leaky valve:
SB_compressor_004.jpg

Sorry if it gives you a stiff neck.

It is a Mohnsam (sp). Run away as far and as fast as you can! Trust me! When I was at Brownies, we ended up replacing almost every one of those machines with a Bauer block. That is, the customers we could locate.

Craig

It is a Mohnsam (sp). Run away as far and as fast as you can! Trust me! When I was at Brownies, we ended up replacing almost every one of those machines with a Bauer block. That is, the customers we could locate.

Craig

Hi Graig, we don't see any of these up in our part of the world. What are the major issues with these units? Are parts still available?
ZDD

Thanks Zo.
Here's a better picture of the leaky valve:
SB_compressor_004.jpg

Sorry if it gives you a stiff neck.

Fishpie, That is the first stage safety valve, so you need check the cracking pressure on that valve and make sure it is still with-in specs. I am not sure on the value but if it is with in limits then to go into the second stage and service the valves.

Oh and sorry Craig for the miss-spelling on your name.

ZDD

I suggest use, it till it comes apart. The motor, filter, and back pressure valve are of good value and if the compressor fails -- get a new compressor. Who knows it may run for many hours or come apart tomorrow. You are not on the hook to replace it like craig.
Jim Shelden

The chirping noise is the belt.....thank goodness.
I am getting an oil leak here:

Oil is leaking from the (bronze colored) valve above the stainless coupling.
It only seems to leak after the compressor stops....which makes me think it might a normal pressure relief operation to depressurize the cylinders although the similar valve on the 2nd cylinder isn't leaking.
It looks like your relief valve is just doing what it is supposed to do ... protect the first stage from over-pressurizing if the valves leak. I am guessing that the second stage valves are sticky and allowing pressure to bleed back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom