Bauer junior 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exploreoregon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently bought a Bauer Junior 2, extremely light usage (maybe 5 hours), from 2000. When shipped, the seller did not drain the oil. On arrival, the outside was soaked, the intake poured about 1.5oz when the filter was removed. The oil itself looked great haha. No oil coming out of anywhere else. So I cleaned it all up, got it looking new again and prepared it for new filters & oil (synthetic). I disassembled the separator and the vortex plate looks brand new, as does the filter. Because of the oil leak, is there anything I should pay particular attention to? The compressor rotates by hand and you can feel it building pressure. If this was your compressor, what would you do? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230630_221834.jpg
    20230630_221834.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 115
The same thing happened to me with the shipping of my brand new Bauer Oceanus. The freight company obviously somehow put it on its side. Just clean it up, put a new air filter in it, and start pumping gas.... Obviously, make sure you have enough oil in it.

Similar to @rhwestfall
One slight change depending on how bad the spill was and if it actually got into the pump. Before you put the new filter stacks in, let it run for 5-10mins venting to atmosphere then clean the filter towers and run for another 5-10mins if there is a bunch of oil residue in there. Will save you a premature filter change.

The hose from the crank case to the intake looks like it's seen better days, may want to replace that if it feels brittle.

Turn it over manually a few times with the drain taps open to make sure that the first stage hasn't got a gut full of oil to avoid hydraulic lock.

The Junior has two oil and water separators, one of which is incorporated in the PO final filter housing so it will always have a bit of oil and water in there ( that's what the drain taps are there for ). Running a compressor with final stage floating piston for an extended time with drains open is tantamount to raquet abuse in tennis and should be avoided 😁.
The color of the breather hose indicates that the compressor has done more than 100 hours run time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom