Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learnt all those techniques from IANTD Tec Wreck course 20yrs ago.
Some divers take courses because they like to collect card.
Can instructor offers specialty course which is not included in the "official" program offered?
That’s actually the main reason why I went on this trip with a friend who is a part-time tec instructor. I made a list of the things I wanted him to review with my diving. Priceless. No card. And free :cool:.

But they can offer private tutoring/coaching, can they not? The only difference between that and a "specialty course" would be that the instructor could not have their agency acknowledge the student's achievement (e.g., by awarding a card).

But they can offer private tutoring/coaching, can they not? The only difference between that and a "specialty course" would be that the instructor could not have their agency acknowledge the student's achievement (e.g., by awarding a card).
I tend to agree with that. If the instructor gives a card endorsed by an agency, I understand that he/ she needs to stick to the curriculum. However, the instructor might train in different frameworks and circumstances. After all, there are even some multi-agencies instructors and they don’t teach the very same thing depending on the card they will give, right? Does the card matter more than the knowledge? I would rather trust an instructor with an open mind than the one telling me that it is bad because the agency hasn’t approved it yet.

Different question. Yes.
There may be insurance considerations.

Agency which is offering Peak buoyancy should consider expand it by adding propulsion technique! Two cards but must be completed as single course.

Agency which is offering Peak buoyancy should consider expand it by adding propulsion technique! Two cards but must be completed as single course.
First, the instructor has to know real trim and propulsion. They all might think they are diving Gods, but few could pass cavern with the skills they possess.
Can instructor offers specialty course which is not included in the "official" program offered?
There are ways to do this for most agencies. However, you can always hire them as a guide and learn that way as well. My Trim/propulsion class was taught as a clinic rather than a class.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread by an experienced diver in the Basic Forum is an invitation to a cordial discussion of a topic that approaches dogma on ScubaBoard: maintaining horizontal trim. Let's debate this in the spirit in which it was intended. This thread is not an invitation to a cage fight. Thank you in advance.

I get it. Better trim, streamlined, less energy spent especially with current so less gas. Easier to stay neutral. But, really, is the horizontal position always the best one? When I face a wall, watching the sealife, the upright position is more natural and comfortable. There are times when being horizontal is better for example when I am sneaking in narrow spaces and looking into crevasses with my flash light. Buddha position is useless but so relaxing just working on your breathing. I just spent a week diving in Thailand with instructors coming from all over the world (France who claim that they are the best because they invented the sport, Australia, Great Britain, USA who stunned me by not knowing neither DYI nor GUE, …). An instructor asked me why I was launching my DSMB horizontally when it was not necessary. I could not say anything but I was told this is the way.
But, just try an horizontal position in a vertical chimney. Or maybe, my understanding was wrong. Would this statement be right? Dive the way that better suits you?

The premise of the question itself is strange. It's like asking, is it always best to take the bus?

I think asking "what is always the right thing" is the wrong question. It would be better to look at more specific situations and evaluate that way. Examples:
- Is it better to be horizontal vs. vertical during descents? Why?
- what about ascents?
- what about when right over the reef?
- what about next to a wall?

…frog kick is not adequate even with my RK3. I « touch » around. I would rather do flutter or even better, modified flutter if I am close to the bottom

Seems that you could benefit from some coaching by someone who really knows their onions**.

With the exception of a huge ripping current, frog kick is more than adequate for your general purpose kick as it, like breaststroke, is very efficient at thrusting rearward, not downwards like scissor kick. A bent knee flutter kick is the fastest. Mod Frog, where you fin by ankles alone, is used in tight and silty spaces.

And to stress something mentioned earlier, regardless of the number of hours of diving one has, a GOOD DIVER never stops learning even if it’s fixing UNconscious INcompetence.

** figure of speech: expert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom