Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I come up to end of a dive to do a safety stop and see this so took a video.
Imagine what these students are thinking of their Chinese PADI instructor then? Peak Performance class or not I have no idea?

Killing a bit of time.

Can we agree that when close to the bottom, it is better to be horizontal? Far away, do whatever you like, but everyone should agree that divers should avoid kicking up silt and kicking coral. And we should agree that being horizontal goes a long way for that, so everyone should have the ability to be horizontal.

That doesn't mean that everyone should be that way all the time.

Sometimes being upside down with arms and legs flared is the best position like JJ was for part of the time on a drift dive through the Tacoma Narrows with Lynne Flaherty. Because it was fun and fun (and safety and not damaging the environment) is what diving is all about.

everyone should agree that divers should avoid kicking up silt and kicking coral
Yes, I think everybody (today, in the western world) agrees to this. But being horizontal is not the only way to avoid kicking up silt and kicking coral, and being horizontal does not insure that silt will not get kicked up nor coral will not be kicked. In addition to being horizontal, your fin kicks and their placement are essential.

Yes, I think everybody (today, in the western world) agrees to this. But being horizontal is not the only way to avoid kicking up silt and kicking coral, and being horizontal does not insure that silt will not get kicked up nor coral will not be kicked. In addition to being horizontal, your fin kicks and their placement are essential.
Everybody in the western world agrees!!! LOL.
I had said it many times most divers I met in SE Asia were from outside Asia. And some of them should not be allowed to dive unless it is in his own swimming pool.

Everybody in the western world agrees!!! LOL.
I had said it many times most divers I met in SE Asia were from outside Asia. And some of them should not be allowed to dive unless it is in his own swimming pool.
There are people with poor diving skills everywhere.
The percentage seems higher in Asia, perhaps due to less care for the environment as much as to diving instruction.

There are people with poor diving skills everywhere.
The percentage seems higher in Asia, perhaps due to less care for the environment as much as to diving instruction.
Where are those divers who are so destructive coming from?
90%+ of them I met were from outside Asia.
Interestingly nearly all the guides are local except their clients.
Another interesting point: a lot of instructors are from outside Asia!
I rarely rarely met local divers in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives and Philippines. Republic of China is the only exception.

USA is 2nd.
It is a global issue.

Where are those divers who are so destructive coming from?
90%+ of them I met were from outside Asia.
Interestingly nearly all the guides are local except their clients.
Another interesting point: a lot of instructors are from outside Asia!
I rarely rarely met local divers in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Maldives and Philippines. Republic of China is the only exception.
Picture taken in Rota, near Guam. three Americans and one Japanese instructor. Just sayin'
1651259021471.png

They are everywhere as you had said.
Nothing new.
One diver has dropped the knees. Another was flutter kicking.

One Japanese represents nothing.
The diver I saw in Belize crawling over coral to take pictures had been diving for over 25 years. American.

Just DGAF.

The diver I saw in Belize crawling over coral to take pictures had been diving for over 25 years. American.

Just DGAF.
Statistics start with one data point. But conclusions should not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom