Is "flipper" really the wrong word?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty interesting when you consider a not-insignificant portion of divers breath EANX! Does the "air delivery system" work on nitrox too? Also wondering if they sell special / dedicated "trimix delivery systems"?

I wonder how many of staff quit out of an inability to keep a straight face when using that ridiculous terminology.

Roflmao!!!

I once sat through a week-long scuba marketing workshop put on by the president and owner of a major scuba agency. He also owns several very profitable dive shops, and he is currently using his position in the agency to make affiliated dive shops as profitable as possible. In the workshop, he advocated using non-standard names for most key items in diving gear. For example, his sales staff does not use the word "regulator." IIRC, the preferred term is "air delivery device." As he explained it, his preferred terms carry a subtle hint related to diver safety, sort of like subliminal advertising. He also said that if a student first encounters scuba through your operation and visits other stores to check out gear sales, when they use those terms, the other store's personnel won't know what they are talking about and will act confused. As a consequence, the new diver will assume that store's personnel are not very knowledgeable, and they will be more likely to return to your store.

I believe (not sure) that all the official materials from that agency now use those terms, so you may be hearing them soon.

EDIT: I misremembered. They call it an "Air Delivery System."

Disgusting. A con artist targeting the most vulnerable. He should have been confronted and shouted down.

I agree with confronting someone who uses this tactic but shouting down simply wouldn't work. On the plus side, if the agency paperwork is now changing to use his preferred terminology, he'll lose business because now he isn't giving misleading information to his students that would confuse other shops.

I agree with confronting someone who uses this tactic but shouting down simply wouldn't work. On the plus side, if the agency paperwork is now changing to use his preferred terminology, he'll lose business because now he isn't giving misleading information to his students that would confuse other shops.

You're right about the shouting down not being realistic. In fact, deceptive marketing is more the rule than the exception, and has been for a long time. I suppose what really bothered me was the absolutely shameless manner in which the 'use the other guy's product and you may die' approach was gleefully described. This is only a half-step above giving advice on how to get away with including a fictitious item or two when adding up purchases.

Crooked as cat sh!t.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 04:22 PM ----------

The old NASDS tactics.

Absolutely. I think we spent a day or two during training on just that approach to fraudulent deception.

On another topic, my full foot flippers from Apollo are fabulous. Too bad they are no longer available. When they were discontinued I bought an extra pair.

Joke's on you - now you're stuck with a pair of split fins! :wink:

Better get his mask up on his forehead before something bad happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom