Is decent wide angle possible with G12 or must go DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod,

It seems that the Inon H100-28 LD is the best lens available at the moment, better than the Fix UWL - 04, Inon UFL 165 fish-eye, Dyron fish-eye, etc. and the lens to go for? If I remember correctly, you said you prefer the Inon WAL 100, and the Inon H100-28 LD is the upgraded version of it?

Until somebody does something similar to what I did earlier thsi year and last, Great Summer Wet Lens Shootout, etc then the answer to your question is unknown. I, unfortunately, due in part to a circumstance with my leg, will not be purchasing said lens for testing but if somebody want to loan me one I could try.

At this time I know of no way to mount the Inon LD lens to the FIX or Recsea housings. I would go with the UWL-04 or Inon UFL165AD because they are half the price of the Inon LD or 28AD or 67mm offerings when one includes the price of the dome kit.

N

Nemrod,

If one consider only the quality and traits of these lenses like image quality, speed, etc. without bringing the price and housings into the picture, how would you grade the Inon WAL 100, Inon UFL 165, FIX UWL-04, Dyron fish eye, on a rank order from best to less best? Are there any other competitor lenses and where do they fit into the rank order?

Which strobes would you recommend with the Canon S95 and fish-eye- or extra wide angle lenses? Inon, Ikelite and Sea and Sea strobes are available in SA. I know of the Inon Z240, Inon D2000, Sea and Sea YS 110a. What do you think of the compact strobe systems like the Ikelite AF35 auto flash kit. Can you perhaps rank them too? Do you know of other good options? I suppose for extra wide angle photography the strobe need to project an extra wide beam of light? Can one get away with only one strobe?

Thanks for your patience with all these questions. You helped me a lot!

Regards

Hermie

10 --> 9 --> 8 (Inon WAL100 w/dome) --> 7 (Inon UFL165AD/Fisheye UWL-04) --> 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.

I know very little about the Dyron lens or their other products. The above ranking does not represent my preference, only your criteria. Based on price, function and ease of use the UFL165AD wins and price and for performance and widest FOV the UWL-04 wins, this is why I did the "The Great Summer Wet Lens Shootout" so the reader could decide.

The Inon D2000 is IMO the best compromise of price and capability and future growth to other systems, my opinion, others will vary.

N

The G12 Fix housing is a dry mount. Is that also true of the S95 Fix housing, or can one change lenses underwater with it?

There are at least a dozen threads that answer this question. The FIX and Recsea housings for the S95 use WET lenses.

Can the Fish-eye UWL-04 do wide angle macro?

Seriously, yes.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom