Is decent wide angle possible with G12 or must go DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So i have the Patima housing for the G11. It comes with 2 ports, a standard one as you see on the housing and a seperate one at the bottom which has a M67 thread that screws into the wide angle lense which is also shown. Have not used the WA yet but cant wait to.

Cheers Joel

Nice rig---what modeling/video lite is that on top, hard to tell by the pic...TIA..Joe

Joel1231, what is your opinion about Patima Housing

Its a nice housing and i like it alot. I havent really done much diving with it since i got it. The biggest downside that i can think of is that its quite heavy, and once you add the tray and the 2 stobes it quite bulky. Much the same as a SLR setup. It is also negatively buoyant as well, which most of the perspex housing are not. but you get used to it and i have no problem with it.

Cheers Joel

I agree with Joel231' opinion about the Patima housing but it is still much smaller than a DSLR housing and smaller than the Olymous E-PL1 housing. The complete rig, including wetlens and 2 D200 strobes can be fitted in a carry-on trolley or Pelicase, avoiding ship it as checked luggage and so unnecessary stress during flights.
The Patima G11 housing with the Inon UWL-100 should provide 100° FoV with a very slight zoom to avoid vignetting and i am quite happy with this set-up as i can reuse my old UWL-100.
Using the optional Inon Dome Port for the UWL-100 should expand the FoV to 131°,
beeing more than decent i think.

Chris

There is a new Inon lens soon to be available, it is the 100-28LD. It is optimized for 28mm native lenses and it can accept the dome, it is a new bayonet mount that supposedly is going to be shared with other companies (maybe). N

Last edited:
doesn't seem any different than the 100 degree FOV that I've had for my S90 for some time...

please educate me if I'm wrong though

doesn't seem any different than the 100 degree FOV that I've had for my S90 for some time...

please educate me if I'm wrong though

The 28LD bayonet mount lens is an improved lens, it has a new bayonet mount, it is optimal for 28mm native lenses, it does not have native vignetting when the dome kit is installed as does the 100-28AD. When the dome kit is installed on the current WAL100-28AD there is a 96% crop required to eliminate dark corners, this is covered in the Inon lens catalog which is on-line as a PDF. Again, the new WAL100-28LD will not require cropping when the dome is installed as does the WAL100-28AD.

It is kind of confusing and I am not fully understanding it all yet:

http://inonnews.blogspot.com/2010/12/dome-lens-unit-ii-for-uwl-h100.html

The other supposed benefit is that Inon is sharing the specifications for the new bayonet mount so it can be industry shared, whether it is or not remains to be seen.

N

The HD bayonet mount lens is an improved lens, it has a new bayonet mount, it is optimal for 28mm native lenses, it does not have native vignetting when the dome kit is installed as does the 100-28AD. When the dome kit is installed on the current WAL100-28AD there is a 96% crop required to eliminate dark corners, this is covered in the Inon lens catalog which is on-line as a PDF. Again, the new WAL100-HD will not require cropping when the dome is installed as does the WAL100-28AD. This should result in a full 165 degree FOV for the HD lens with dome vs 157 degrees for the dome equipped 100-28AD and as well it is said it will have less corner distortion with the dome.

The other supposed benefit is that Inon is sharing the specifications for the new bayonet mount so it can be industry shared, whether it is or not remains to be seen.

N

I guess this is a dome specific thing then, as, I don't have any sort of vignetting without the dome on my UWL100-28AD lens... do we really think it will be worth the extra 80% cost though is the main factor...? anyone wanting to sell their "old" dome for the uwl100-28AD, or, even, the whole thing??? its old tech now, so, get rid of it!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom