Is COVID-19 Especially Bad News for Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is going to take a while for the scientific/medical community to complete peer reviewed studies after this "blows over". We are not out of the woods yet.

This is a repeat of a prior thread. There is no evidence to support a statement that COVID-19 causes irreparable lung damage. However, we don’t have have data on long term effect on those who contracted the virus. The undercurrent article states just that, that medical professionals disagree and there is no data. Not much to add to prior discussions.
Lung damage due to Covid 19

BTW @Ukmc I received an email today about the antibody study. Filled out the screening form. Waiting to hear if I am in the demographics they are looking for...

Lung damage due to Covid 19

BTW @Ukmc I received an email today about the antibody study. Filled out the screening form. Waiting to hear if I am in the demographics they are looking for...
I was rejected for one of the RNA-based studies, due to some Synthroid I take daily.

I was rejected for one of the RNA-based studies, due to some Synthroid I take daily.
Do you mean the viral RNA test that looks for active infection? Why on earth would they not do it because you take Synthroid!

We just started doing the oropharyngeal swabs in our office last week. Turn around time during the week is 24 hours. Its truly scary how much of this is out there. We had 5 come back positive just today.

And I just canceled a yearly Myrtle Beach trip for my 90 year old mother in June. She just sits on the balcony and watches the crowds from the 5th floor but its too great a risk to her to spend a week with me in such close quarters.

Do you mean the viral RNA test that looks for active infection? Why on earth would they not do it because you take Synthroid!
No, an RNA-based investigational vaccine.

VRC 500 (DMID Protocol 20-0003)

The Vaccine Research Center is currently recruiting healthy volunteers to participate in a vaccine research study targeting SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

The investigational vaccine is called mRNa-1273. This investigational product is protein-based. It does not contain any virus (SARS-CoV2). Therefore, you cannot get COVID-19 from the vaccine.

The main goals of this study are to test if the investigational product is safe/well tolerated and to study the human body’s immune responses to the product.

No, an RNA-based investigational vaccine.

VRC 500 (DMID Protocol 20-0003)

The Vaccine Research Center is currently recruiting healthy volunteers to participate in a vaccine research study targeting SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

The investigational vaccine is called mRNa-1273. This investigational product is protein-based. It does not contain any virus (SARS-CoV2). Therefore, you cannot get COVID-19 from the vaccine.

The main goals of this study are to test if the investigational product is safe/well tolerated and to study the human body’s immune responses to the product.
Oh, the vaccine! I had read about that research study. Very interesting and I sure hope it is successful. I think I remember reading it would be the first successful RNA vaccine for humans.

Oh, the vaccine! I had read about that research study. Very interesting and I sure hope it is successful. I think I remember reading it would be the first successful RNA vaccine for humans.
The advantage being its scalability to mass production....no growing things in eggs!

The advantage being its scalability to mass production....no growing things in eggs!
If one can just ignore that fact that it is killing people :(, it would all be very fascinating. In many ways it is a great time to be in pharmaceutical/epidemiology/virology/medical research...

If one can just ignore that fact that it is killing people :(, it would all be very fascinating. In many ways it is a great time to be in pharmaceutical/epidemiology/virology/medical research...

My friends look at me strangely over the masks or there becomes silence on the other end of the telephone, when I say "looking at this dispassionately, it's an amazing time in our lives and that of the world" sometimes I say "fascinating" instead of "amazing". Gets the same response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom