Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-Dog

Contributor
Messages
187
Reaction score
111
Location
Kohala, Hawaii
# of dives
200 - 499
And, just like that, after a week of silence I heard from PADI Travel. They have seen the credit card disputes. No responses to my previous emails. No return to my phone call. Then they are offering to pay the additional fees themselves if I drop the disputes.
 

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
627
Location
USA
And, just like that, after a week of silence I heard from PADI Travel. They have seen the credit card disputes. No responses to my previous emails. No return to my phone call. Then they are offering to pay the additional fees themselves if I drop the disputes.
Such a shame it came to that. Now they have to eat the costs as well as live with the ill will caused by the poor customer service experience and being thrown under the bus on SB.
 

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba instructor
Messages
8,070
Reaction score
5,677
Location
New Jersey
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I don’t doubt the value of the advice given to this new student. All of it will be trumped by that given by his instructor when he does the course.
 

P-Dog

Contributor
Messages
187
Reaction score
111
Location
Kohala, Hawaii
# of dives
200 - 499
Such a shame it came to that. Now they have to eat the costs as well as live with the ill will caused by the poor customer service experience and being thrown under the bus on SB.

If you had seen their letter, you'd have ill will. No acknowledgement of any of my former communications with them, at all. No acceptance that they never even told me that the trip was canceled. They only got in touch because the credit card has been finding in my favor.

"The offer to reschedule the diving vacation is a gesture of good will by both the operator and PADI Travel" - as opposed to just keeping my money and not offering me a reschedule?

I did not ask for PADI Travel to eat the costs. I asked for them, as the agent, to negotiate with Discovery Divers. Frankly, I'm surprised they are willing pay the money themselves.
 

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
627
Location
USA
If you had seen their letter, you'd have ill will. No acknowledgement of any of my former communications with them, at all. No acceptance that they never even told me that the trip was canceled. They only got in touch because the credit card has been finding in my favor.

"The offer to reschedule the diving vacation is a gesture of good will by both the operator and PADI Travel" - as opposed to just keeping my money and not offering me a reschedule?

I did not ask for PADI Travel to eat the costs. I asked for them, as the agent, to negotiate with Discovery Divers. Frankly, I'm surprised they are willing pay the money themselves.
Yep, they earned that ill will for sure.
 

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Messages
3,374
Reaction score
2,807
Location
San Francisco, California
# of dives
200 - 499
@P-Dog I’m glad it’s working out. When you win the dispute, your card company/bank/etc won’t pay them but they still owe or have already paid money to the liveaboard so they have everything to lose. Paying the difference for you now is the lesser of 2 evils - because the alternative is not getting paid at all and being under by the amount of your trip.
 

P-Dog

Contributor
Messages
187
Reaction score
111
Location
Kohala, Hawaii
# of dives
200 - 499
@P-Dog I’m glad it’s working out. When you win the dispute, your card company/bank/etc won’t pay them but they still owe or have already paid money to the liveaboard so they have everything to lose. Paying the difference for you now is the lesser of 2 evils - because the alternative is not getting paid at all and being under by the amount of your trip.

Yes. I wish I I wasn't so disgusted about their letter. It took absolutely no responsibility. At all. Just a "We're meeting your terms even though we did everything right and you are unreasonable. Now stop the credit card dispute, make it go away and have a nice day" type of thing.

I'm just going to ask how they will handle it if the August trip gets canceled and then take the offer (depending on the answer).

I said I'd still go on the trip if they negotiated with Discovery Divers to remove the additional fees. Although they didn't negotiate with the dive operation about the fees, they are now removed. I'll stick to my end of the bargain even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :) It will still be an amazing trip.
 

Umuntu

Contributor
Messages
804
Reaction score
490
Location
Traveller
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yes. I wish I I wasn't so disgusted about their letter. It took absolutely no responsibility. At all. Just a "We're meeting your terms even though we did everything right and you are unreasonable. Now stop the credit card dispute, make it go away and have a nice day" type of thing.

I'm just going to ask how they will handle it if the August trip gets canceled and then take the offer (depending on the answer).

I said I'd still go on the trip if they negotiated with Discovery Divers to remove the additional fees. Although they didn't negotiate with the dive operation about the fees, they are now removed. I'll stick to my end of the bargain even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :) It will still be an amazing trip.

I'd take the money and look for the best deals available when things eventually reopen. Discovery Divers (and many other operators without deep pockets) may not be around then.
 

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Messages
325
Reaction score
395
Location
Tigard, Oregon
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in another area of the forum.
I am now ready to share my experience about my two cancelled live-aboards with Blue O Two/Worldwide Dive and Sail/Masterliveaboards (all one company) – the Siren Fleet, specifically the Philippines Siren and the Palau Siren. There’s been some criticisms in this forum about posters withholding specific dive operator names, but if the outcome was not in my favor, I would still have to deal with them to use credits or vouchers after naming them for their misdeeds.

The Philippines Siren trip was to start on May 16, 2020, to Tubbataha, followed by the Palau Siren from May 25 to June 1, 2020. The total cost of these two trips with Blue O Two (I’ll call them BOT) was $7304. Final payment was March 17, 2020. On March 14th I e-mailed them about the status of the trip. (They’re based in Thailand and I could never speak with a real person, only by e-mail.) BOT informed me that the trips were still going (even though the Philippines borders were closing).

On March 18th, one day after final payment and having my $7304 in hand, they cancelled both trips. I find it highly suspicious they waited till the day after final payment to then cancel the trip when I had just inquired four days before. I then requested a refund per their cancellation policy to which they refused and only offered me a credit voucher for future use, which would be a worthless piece of paper if they go bankrupt. Here’s their cancellation options from their web site: “If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of:

  1. (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements; or
  2. cancelling your booking and having a refund of all monies paid; or
  3. if available and where we offer one, accepting an offer of an alternative holiday (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value).”
Tubbataha is a difficult trip to reserve because of the limited amount of boat operators and the small window of time to travel there. I had booked this trip in January 2019. After a couple more e-mails back and forth, I repeated that I wasn’t interested in a credit for future travel and I wanted the refund. They still refused, so I filed a dispute with my Citibank Visa on March 20th, and I was told that the process would be resolved by June 9th. I received word this week that the dispute was resolved in my favor and I received the $7304 back.

There was a lot of moving parts to this trip, multiple airfares and hotels and transfers pre, post, and in between trips. I have now received refunds for all my cancellations. Philippines Airlines is 90 days out from posting their refunds, so I should see that sometime this month. My total investment for this vacation was over $11,000.

For some added factual context, on March 9th, I got an e-mail promotion that they will refund new bookings in full (yet they won’t refund existing bookings that they cancelled). Here’s what the promo said: “If you make a new booking with us, between the 9th March to 30th April you can cancel your live-aboard space and receive a full refund. From the 9th March, any new bookings will be refunded or moved to a later date if you are unable to travel due to COVID-19.”

I also received an e-mail on March 30th stating that they were partially shutting down their operation. The e-mail says in part: “We want to say a massive thank you to all of you for bearing with us through this period. We are still very much active, albeit with a much smaller, core team. As of today, 30th March, we are going into a period of semi-hibernation. The team will be responding to queries and reaching out to you chronologically by sailing date. Please do continue to bear with us as the volume of enquires is large. To help us manage this, our inbound phone lines and LiveChat will not be operational during this period. If you have a query then please email it through. We are doing everything we can to ensure we remain a viable business and can continue to provide inspirational experiences for our customers. The action of refusing to pay an outstanding balance has a huge knock-on effect. Ultimately, we won't be able to pay our suppliers, who then will be unable to provide the service you desire and will themselves be unable to pay their staff and suppliers. The consequences and repercussions are wide-ranging. You could be contributing to the downfall of many companies and many livelihoods. Please work with us on this because your money is safe.”

Those are the facts for my experience.

Here’s my opinion. BOT is actually saying that their customers will contribute to their downfall if we don’t pay them for a service we may never get! They want to blame their customers for their poor business practices such that they don't have the capital reserve to weather some hard times! That is ridiculous!! My money is safe?? Uh, are you a bank? No! BOT has shown an obvious disregard for customers, and I have serious doubts about the viability of this company. They will forever be on my do not travel list.
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom