Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the Best to your friend.
He run out of luck too. Today he was supposed to visit the Borobudur and Prambanan temples around Yokyakarta. They just shut them down. But that's details. He is running out of options for flights back home. One after the other companies stop international flights. He just grabbed the first ticket he fount (Wednesday the 18th) for Greece.
Obviously he has to cancel the LoB too. I don't know how they'll handle his case.

We were supposed to fly next week for Raja Ampat LoB trip. Two days ago flights got cancelled; airline offered to re-book on alternative route but that would put us in the quarantine during the stop over so not an option. Besides UK FCO advice is now against all but essential travel to Indonesia which means no travel insurance would cover us if we go.

LoB is non-refundable at this stage so we spent very nervous couple of days thinking the whole payment is lost. However the boat have just responded and they will let us re-book within next 3 (yes that's right 3!) years. And actually not just us but anyone booked departure in the next 6 months. Absolutely amazing of them and of course we hope we don't have to wait that long before coming there.

A credit is better than a refund, but this is a big hit to all businesses in the tourism sector that may not have cash reserves to last through a bad season. A promise is still just a promise. Let’s see if they can keep it next year. I still have some Borders gift cards in a drawer somewhere with a nominal value infinitely greater than their real value, unless they become collectors items on eBay in the future.

A credit is better than a refund, but this is a big hit to all businesses in the tourism sector that may not have cash reserves to last through a bad season. A promise is still just a promise. Let’s see if they can keep it next year. I still have some Borders gift cards in a drawer somewhere with a nominal value infinitely greater than their real value, unless they become collectors items on eBay in the future.

Let's see if these LOB even can survive and as with some airlines there will be casualties and bankruptcies. I hope they can survive. It costs money to birth a ship.

The number of deaths may be a better, but a very sad and late indicator of how many cases there really might be in a place.
In that sad sense (I have no idea about how correct these numbers are),
Also number of deaths can be unreliable.
For example here in Italy if a patient dies having other pathologies, but being infected by COVID19, it is counted among the deaths, even if the cause of death was not directly due to the virus. In Germany it is counted only if COVID19 was the direct cause of death.
This explains why the death rate in Italy is very large, and instead it is very small in Germany.

This explains why the death rate in Italy is very large, and instead it is very small in Germany.
It may contribute, but I doubt it is the full explanation.

Credit better than NO refund, but not as good as refund. My tiny phone is not great for posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom